Microsoft SQL 2005 Stnd Edition Server cluster question

Networking/Security Forums -> Databases

Author: Leathal PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Microsoft SQL 2005 Stnd Edition Server cluster question
    ----
Looking at the comparison chart from Microsoft on SQL 2005 Server I see that Stnd and Ent both support DB Mirroring and Clustering.

My question about clustering is whether its done the SQL level or OS level? Do I have to install Windows 2003 Server Ent to do the clustering on SQL 2005 or can I use Windows 2003 Server Stnd edition?

If it happens on the SQL level and not OS I guess I need a NIC to connect between the nodes in the cluster and a NIC for the local LAN traffic?

Thanks
Andrew

Author: Fire AntLocation: London PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Leathal,

There are lots of docs on the Microsoft site about this. SQL mirroring is done at the SQL level using a mirror server and a witness. Not sure what happens at the high end Ent edition though.

Matt_s

Author: Leathal PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject:
    ----
matt_s wrote:
Leathal,

There are lots of docs on the Microsoft site about this. SQL mirroring is done at the SQL level using a mirror server and a witness. Not sure what happens at the high end Ent edition though.

Matt_s

I am not talking about mirror and witness, I am talking about clustering. If you look at the info on Microsoft's website it clearly states that MS SQL 2005 supports both.

I just need to know if it's a SQL thing or if it's required to have Windows 2003 Server Ent installed for SQL clustering to work? And from what I have seen from the documents on MS's site there isn't really any straight forward YES or NO. Smile

Andrew

Networking/Security Forums -> Databases

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1