128bit encryption on CD-R/DVD-R burning software

Networking/Security Forums -> Cryptographic Software and Hardware

Author: offradarencryptedLocation: Northeastern USA PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: 128bit encryption on CD-R/DVD-R burning software
    ----
I have an old version of Roxio Easy Media Creator 7 Basic VCD Edition from 2004.

I can burn CD-R or DVD-Rs of data.
It also offers 128bit encryption of a Data Disc so that the files can only be accessed by someone entering a password that you select. To decrypt an encrypted disc or file, you must use the Roxio Retrieve application.

There is no further documentation of this "128 bit encryption".
What encryption is used? What algorithm?
After I burned a CD-R i was able to see in Windows Explorer that the files are indeed encrypted. Since I am only creating a password does Roxio actually have a back door into the data encrypted.
Is it safe for me to leave a burned disc with encryption somewhere if no one has the password?
I am able create at least a 15-character password. I'm sure how much longer.
Yes I am aware of PGP and TrueCrypt. I am asking this question to see about the encryption available on this Roxio software.

Author: Fire AntLocation: London PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject:
    ----
I know that Roxio Toast uses the AES algorithm.
Quote:
Is it safe for me to leave a burned disc with encryption somewhere if no one has the password?
The security of this system is based on the strength of your password not the availability of the software.

Quote:
Since I am only creating a password does Roxio actually have a back door into the data encrypted.
I would seriously doubt it for various reasons, commercial and otherwise.

Matt_s

Networking/Security Forums -> Cryptographic Software and Hardware

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1