url by mistake

Networking/Security Forums -> Spyware // Adware // Trojans Discussion

Author: Moxxu PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: url by mistake
    ----
Hi

I have entered into a web site by mistake which has its name not similar but close to the site of a bank which i use for internet banking. This site seems to have some bank features such as internet banking, although i haven't clicked on the links.

Having said that what are the recommended ways to make sure that my pc is safe from this site before i log in to my real internet banking?

I haven't posted a link to the site in question, since i haven't many posts i didn't want my post to be classified as spam. Also i entered the site using firefox, and i have the site advisor plug in, but it seems that the site has not been tested yet with the site advisor.

Thank you

Author: Godsp3edLocation: Universe PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:55 am    Post subject:
    ----
You mean you want to block it?? Simple Wink

Open Command Prompt
Vista : Start Menu --> All Programs --> Accessories --> Run (type 'cmd')
XP : Start Menu --> Run (type 'cmd')

type 'ping XYZ' where (XYZ=the name of the site you want to block), now you will get an i.p. address of that site on the first line itself, note it down and lets name it for now as xxx.xx.xx.xxx. Now...

...type 'notepad C:/windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts'
A notepad window will open up...Search for '127.0.0.1 localhost' and exactly below that type '127.0.0.1 xxx.xx.xx.xxx'

and for any other site you want to block use the same method but write again 127.0.0.1 yyy.yy.yy.yyy on another line....

Save the file...If you are not able to, then follow the location on the GUI and right-click on the 'hosts' file and click properties and unckeck 'read-only'

Networking/Security Forums -> Spyware // Adware // Trojans Discussion

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1