Harddisk Requirement in Virtual Environment

Networking/Security Forums -> Hardware // Upgrades

Author: meethemantLocation: Bangalore,India PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Harddisk Requirement in Virtual Environment
    ----
Hi

I am in palnning of running VMWare ESX server on one physical server (say Dell2900). This server will have five VM . My question is as follow:

1.Can i use one physical hard disk (450 GB)and distribute 80 GB hard disk to each VM Or

2.I should use 5 hard disk i.e one physical hard disk to each VM.

If both are possible which will be good from performance point of view.

//br
hks

Author: capiLocation: Portugal PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Indeed both alternatives are possible.

From a performance point of view, having separate physical disks would be best. That way, each machine can access its disk without interfering with the other machines, thus avoiding a bottleneck. Using a single physical disk for all machines would likely be cheaper, though.

From a reliability point of view, you would also benefit from using several physical disks. That way, if one disk dies, you don't lose all the virtual machines. Of course, for optimum reliability, you'd probably want a RAID setup: something like RAID 5 or RAID 6.

Author: graycatLocation: London, UK PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:55 pm    Post subject:
    ----
I agree with capi that for maximum performance of the discs then having one per VM is a good solution but for security of the drives / redundancy then a raid5 or 6 array of them all is the way forward.

When it comes to an ESX server kind of environment then it's recommended a raid10 for max performance for things like sql servers where there's a lot of read/writes to the discs. All other servers are recommend to be on a raid5 array.

Author: meethemantLocation: Bangalore,India PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:00 am    Post subject: RAID Basics
    ----
graycat wrote:
I agree with capi that for maximum performance of the discs then having one per VM is a good solution but for security of the drives / redundancy then a raid5 or 6 array of them all is the way forward.

When it comes to an ESX server kind of environment then it's recommended a raid10 for max performance for things like sql servers where there's a lot of read/writes to the discs. All other servers are recommend to be on a raid5 array.

Need some concept on RAID . e.g. RAID 5 or RAID 10

Author: IgnatiusLocation: Leeds, UK PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Sorry to jump in - I'm hoping to set up ESXi so I can implement a virtual domain for my educational and testing purposes. Ideally, I'd like to be able to install 2 x W2K3 and 2 x XP Pro clients. I'm also thinking of installing a flavour of Linux, such as BT4.

I'm not familiar with Dell 2900 but I do know that I'll have to check carefully that any hardware that I use will be compatible with ESXi.

I've done some googling and see that Dell 2900 comes with Dual or Quad core Xeon (up to 3.5GHz) and up to 48GB RAM. What would be suitable specs for my requirements? I stress that it's for a test lab, rather than a production network so I'd like to keep the cost as low as possible. I'm aware of the comments earlier in the thread about having multiple smaller hard drives rather than one jumbo hard drive.

Author: meethemantLocation: Bangalore,India PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:43 am    Post subject:
    ----
Yes Dell 2900 is supported . Basically the CPU model you have to see from compatibility point of view. As far as number of cores are concerened then 4 core will give better performance that 2 core. Use the following link so know more about compatibility of CPU/system/IO/SAN.Other Models are also compatable from Dell/HP/IBM

http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php

Since you want to run only few VMs so i think 48 GB RAM is not required in your case.Plan 2-3 GB RAM per VMs.

<edit: redundant quote of previous post removed. AdamV >

Networking/Security Forums -> Hardware // Upgrades

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1