Using birthdate as part of user ID

Networking/Security Forums -> Anonymity // Privacy // Spam

Author: anon1492 PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 4:31 am    Post subject: Using birthdate as part of user ID
    ----
I'm in the habit of signing up on websites with a user ID that includes part of my birth date. For example, if my name were Mark and my birth date was May 17, my user ID would be mark517.

I use a password manager that generates pseudo-random passwords, typically 20 characters long if the site allows.

I'm confident my password is adequately secure but I wonder whether it's poor practice to have my user ID consist of my actual first name together with a number representing birth month and date. Does this give an identity thief too much info?

Author: Fire AntLocation: London PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 10:28 am    Post subject:
    ----
I would say that this is a bad practice. It is a form of information leakage. Whilst an outsider may see this user name as a psudo-random user ID, they could guess that you use your name + DOB, an insider e.g. someone who has access to your real name and DOB or who has access to multiple user names will know that you use this format.

You are definitely exposing yourself by putting real information in your username.

Matt_s

Networking/Security Forums -> Anonymity // Privacy // Spam

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1