Raw Sockets and Packet Injection

Networking/Security Forums -> Programming and More

Author: Sonasty PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:48 am    Post subject: Raw Sockets and Packet Injection
    ----
Hello everyone,

I have been educating myself lately on client/server programming, and then got into raw socket programming and packet injection.

Can you tell me some of the good and bad things packet injection can be used for?

I believe I read an article once a while back about an ISP in China using packet injection with a TCP reset signal inside it to stop clients from downloading torrents and other files (piracy).

In the network security field, what incredible things related to improving society and/or improving network security, by way of improving firewalls or Intrusion Detection Systems, can raw socket packet injection do?

I am close to finishing school with a Bachelor's Degree in Computer & Network Security, and I enjoy programming (hobbyist). It would be great to continue educating myself on something pertaining to my career path as well as possibly discover something incredible in the process!

Open my mind!
Thanks a lot for your time! Move this to another board if it doesn't belong here, but I believe it makes more sense to be in Programming than in Networking Smile. Thanks, take care.[/b]

Author: nailzLocation: Boston PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:26 am    Post subject:
    ----
Take special interest in security regarding packet injection. Any good blackhat will expose your failures. I personally used to use an IE security bug to inject admin packets and them force an ignore system side when it checked...as well an old gnu-emacs file send bug(same concept) to gain root or sys priv on unix/linux boxes. If you want pm me a BBM or an I'm contact i'd love to share what I know.

Author: Sonasty PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject:
    ----
wow thats intense.

I forgot you could probably send many packets, equaling up to an entire file to do something bad like that. That is incredible, and incredibly powerful too.

I'd love to get in contact with you.

For open discussion though, can you think of any good things you can do with this technology?

Networking/Security Forums -> Programming and More

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1