Tripwire alternative?

Networking/Security Forums -> Security Related Software

Author: jaylu PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Tripwire alternative?
    ----
Hi All,

I've been running Tripwire Server on a small network of 3 Win2k3 server since 2006. It's now necessary for me to upgrade one of those servers (the one that hosts the Manager) to 64-bit Server 2008. Currently Tripwire Server doesn't support 2008 and they are trying to rope me into the Enterprise edition for such a small network.

Can anyone suggest a good alternative?

Thanks

Author: ryansuttonLocation: San Francisco, California PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Tripwire alternative?
    ----
jaylu wrote:

Can anyone suggest a good alternative?

It may be beneficial to explain what you are trying to acomplish as not everyone here uses tripwire and we may not all feel like going to their web site to read the list of features so we can recommend an alternative. Smile

Author: jaylu PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Sorry about that.

Tripwire is a program that creates a baseline system configuration and then monitors the server for registry and system file changes. It does a lot of reporting and has a very customizable policy interface.

Basically, the kind of program I'm looking for does something similar - send me a report or update every time things are changed on the server. The server is being used as an FTP server on my network's DMZ, so the configuration should never really change after its set up. If unauthorized changes are being made, I'd like a program that will alert me to it.

Thanks

Author: tfriendlyLocation: London PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:30 am    Post subject: Tripwire Alternative
    ----
I used NNT Change Tracker which gives you config change tracking - they also do file integrity monitoring for pci security and a device hardening audit - good for windows and all unix. Not free (think there is a 5 device version which is free) but significantly less expensive than Tripwire Enterprise. They have a syslog / audit and event log server product too which correlates and identifies key security events - there is a free windows event to syslog converter agent available from them http://www.newnettechnologies.com/change-and-configuration-management-software-downloads.html

Networking/Security Forums -> Security Related Software

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1