Gaining internet access by fooling URLs

Networking/Security Forums -> Firewalls // Intrusion Detection - External Security

Author: Foxhound PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Gaining internet access by fooling URLs
    ----
Hello,

A friend of me told me that in his company he has limited access to the internet: some websites can be visit but the majority cannot be reached.

This filtering is done by a proxy's firewall checking what keywords are in the URL.

To gain access to more sites, he told me it was possible to mislead the firewall by inserting the authorized keywords in the URL so that the firewall accepts an URL that normally would be rejected.

To do that he told me that some software do this automatically.

Does somebody know this technique?

Thanks in helping me.

Author: GroovicusLocation: Centerville, South Dakota PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:55 pm    Post subject:
    ----
The company has limited access in order to protect its resources. Since many here are security professionals tasked with protecting company assets, that sort of topic is really not discussed here unless it is in the context of discussing counter-measures, pen testing, or advising up and coming system admins on potential security risks.

So to answer your question, yes. I hope that helps.

Networking/Security Forums -> Firewalls // Intrusion Detection - External Security

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1