Script to parse message tracking logs

Networking/Security Forums -> Programming and More

Author: ryansuttonLocation: San Francisco, California PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject: Script to parse message tracking logs
    ----
Hello,

Does anyone know of a script, or method in which I can parse log files and extract some specific information? I have about 100MB of Exchange message tracking logs. I need to figure out a way to go through this data and find all emails sent from 10 specific users, excluding emails sent internally, dates they were sent and produce this information in a spreadsheet.

This is the output I am trying to get from the logs

Code:

[Internal Sender]---[External Recipient]--[Date Sent]--[# of emails sent]

I have been trying to see if I could import them in to an Access table and then run a query against that. I have not been successful doing that. Very Happy

Suggestions welcomed.

-Ryan

Author: ThePsykoLocation: California PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject:
    ----
A quick and dirty (and very ugly output) way would be to use the find command - but that won't give you the format you want. Perl would be my choice for something like this - if you don't know Perl, this would be an excellent excuse to learn it Smile

Author: ryansuttonLocation: San Francisco, California PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:33 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Well I'm pretty tied up right now with other studies so I ended up outsourcing this. Thank you for the recommendation. Very Happy

Author: Richard_Williams_II PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Parsing large log files using biterscripting
    ----
For parsing large log files, you may be able to use the open source script http://www.biterscripting.com/SS_WebLogParser.html .

Richard

Author: ryansuttonLocation: San Francisco, California PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Thanks for that however we already outsourced the project.

Networking/Security Forums -> Programming and More

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1