really slow windows xp

Networking/Security Forums -> Beginners // Misc. Computer Questions

Author: ronniejack PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:10 am    Post subject: really slow windows xp
    ----
have windows xp that's running really slow, any suggestions?

Author: ThePsykoLocation: California PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:51 am    Post subject:
    ----
check running services for anything unusual (such as FTPServer.exe), do a defrag, run chkdsk at your next logon, and empty your temp folders for a start

Author: ryansuttonLocation: San Francisco, California PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:27 am    Post subject:
    ----
One more thing you can do is go to Control Panel > System > Advanced > Performance - "Adjust for best performance"

Author: tomjacobLocation: u.k PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:35 am    Post subject:
    ----
Windows xp running slow can happen because of a few reasons:

1. Maybe you need more RAM.
2. Maybe you have some unneeded softwares that run on your PC.
3. Have you checked for viruses?

There is a nice article talking just about this problem.(squidoo.com/windows-running-slow)
'Windows Running Slow? Solution'

Author: tdyer PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject:
    ----
That's XP in a nut shell. If you don't stay on top of it, it tends to act really slow. One suggestion that i didn't see is use a program like regedit to clear out old programs. Unfortunately when you delete a program, it doesn't really uninstall everything, and leaves stuff in the registry that can bog the system. Another thing... Start, Run, msconfig and enter, will help you with programs that are starting up and not really needing to. CAUTION... if you don't know what it is, google it. Make sure that it's not needed to start. Course I could go on... Smile

Author: CoreDefendLocation: USA PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: really slow windows xp
    ----
ronniejack wrote:
have windows xp that's running really slow, any suggestions?

Other than running slow, is there something(s) that you cannot do or do you get an error message?

Author: geeko PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:31 am    Post subject: RE: PC slowdown
    ----
tdyer wrote:
That's XP in a nut shell. If you don't stay on top of it, it tends to act really slow. One suggestion that i didn't see is use a program like regedit to clear out old programs. Unfortunately when you delete a program, it doesn't really uninstall everything, and leaves stuff in the registry that can bog the system. Another thing... Start, Run, msconfig and enter, will help you with programs that are starting up and not really needing to. CAUTION... if you don't know what it is, google it. Make sure that it's not needed to start. Course I could go on... Smile

Too much software installed taking too much system resources is a common cause for xp slow down. I would remove some old programs and defrag the hard disk. Also check the registry only if necessary.

Author: prateek-sri PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:10 pm    Post subject:
    ----
scan for virus .. with latest updated antivirus
make sure u have enough ram for running the the softwares you have installed .. (fresh installed xp runs 26 process ) remove softwares such as image tools , nero , messngers from autorun ...as you can run then evry time you need....

to remove garbage from xp i use CCLEANER ... its a free software from periform
and have always worked for me ....

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

you can download the software from the link above ...

Author: Aram PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: XP Slow
    ----
First, you have to check you PC's parts for XP's appearance. If you need more RAM or Video Memory, buy them and install.
Secondly, check for spywares and clean, if any. Third, you have to defragment your drives in order to make XP run faster. After it you need to check unnecessary services or programs, to remove them from your PC. Clean your PC's registry, empty the %temp% folder, check the programs at startup and.... that is it!
Thank you.

Author: hitech PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:52 am    Post subject:
    ----
There is an article to speed up the XP by disable the useless things.

Author: davidbosten PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject:
    ----
First you need to check your system configuration, this could be the reason for that. You should have higher configuration if you are using windows xp latest version. Check your system configuration like Processor Speed, Physical Memory (RAM), Size of Hard Drive etc..

Author: DuncanWilliams PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:17 pm    Post subject:
    ----
make XP FLY > have a read.

http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=705272

Author: jameskodo85 PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:54 am    Post subject:
    ----
Too very much software installed taking too system resource is a common cause for xp slow down I would get rid of some old programs and defrag the difficult disk Also check the registry only if requirement.

Author: digidojo PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:23 am    Post subject:
    ----
Every time I encounter a computer running slowly, I usually first check the running processes. I uninstall all bloatware. (This means getting most of the little icons off clock area.)

If that fails, I usually do a clean install of Windows.

Although recently I reinstalled Windows and it still ran painfully slow. This case for me, it is probably a hardware failure.

Author: mattphelpsLocation: US PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:43 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Win XP tends to run slow over time thus we need to clean files that are not being used especially softwares installed that are not being used regularly. Keep the number of software installed to the minimum.

Author: Maqltiti PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: really slow windows xp
    ----
there are lots of causes but i think one of the causes that makes pc slow are viruses, malwares, adwares, spywares, you try Registry cleaner it might help..

Networking/Security Forums -> Beginners // Misc. Computer Questions

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1