Need encryption advice;

Networking/Security Forums -> Cryptographic Software and Hardware

Author: RC2 PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:59 pm    Post subject: Need encryption advice;
    ----
Here is my problem I just had a system stolen from my house with no encryption and it has been a real headache. I bought a new system and bought Mcafee’s file vault for it, I really don’t need to encrypt the entire hard drive just important files.

Here is my question after doing a search on the internet there are many programs out there that promise to break even the toughest password in minutes. So am I fooling myself to think that my data is safe?

Second I could not find a program that would allow me to encrypt the Hard Drive , or a program or file using a USB key. That would allow me to keep the key separate from the computer when not in use. Found plenty of programs that will use a key to allow you to encrypt a program that you create.

RC2

Author: capiLocation: Portugal PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Hi RC2,

This has been covered many times before in our forums. Please do a search for "disk encryption" or "truecrypt".

If you want the short version: use TrueCrypt. It's well known, open-source, secure, fast, works with several different operating systems and it does what you ask.

Author: TDSincLocation: Florida PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:29 am    Post subject: Secure HD
    ----
PGP has an application to encrypt your HD and USB. So try that.
As to passwords etc., pick a 'passphrase' (proverb, quote, etc. that you can easily remember, but is otherwise uncommon), and salt it up with some symbols/numbers. This will go a long way to making cracking your password more difficult (provided, of course, that you keep it to yourself)

Networking/Security Forums -> Cryptographic Software and Hardware

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1