Whole disk encryption with multi-boot

Networking/Security Forums -> Cryptographic Software and Hardware

Author: flyingstar16 PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:36 pm    Post subject: Whole disk encryption with multi-boot
    ----
Hi all,
I'm looking for a product that allows me to encrypt a whole disk and asks for pre-boot authentication. When authenticated, it unlocks the disk and creates a some kind of virtual drive that gives me access to a partitioned/multi boot environment.
My laptop has Linux/Windows dual boot and while I can encrypt linux partition with dm-crypt, truecrypt is useless for windows as I use Win 7 x64, which has its own boot partition that truecrypt can't access.
So, I'm looking for a way to encrypt the whole disk once and then choose which OS I want to boot.
Thanks in advance!

Author: Fire AntLocation: London PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:59 pm    Post subject:
    ----
May be a bit late but you should look at PGP WDE, this supports Linux and Windows and should be able to dual boot. I haven't had a chance to test this but if I get a response regarding this post I might be inclined to test it.

Matt_s

Author: flyingstar16 PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:25 am    Post subject:
    ----
matt_s wrote:
May be a bit late but you should look at PGP WDE, this supports Linux and Windows and should be able to dual boot. I haven't had a chance to test this but if I get a response regarding this post I might be inclined to test it.

Matt_s

First of all, thanks Matt.
PGP WDE seems a great solution, but has only a problem: it's not freeware, nor Open Source. http://eu.store.pgp.com/whole_disk_encryption.html
110€ seem really too much.
This said, I can... I'm sure you can imagine how to complete this sentence Wink
I honestly forgot about this post, but my situation did not change, so I have the same problem. ([OT]e-mail notifications are great[/OT])
What I was looking for was, I must have specified, an Open Source or, at least, freeware program that does what I'm looking for.
Obviously, if there are no alternatives, I'll go for PGP WDE or I'll force Win7 to install into a single partition and then Truecrypt-crypt it Razz

Networking/Security Forums -> Cryptographic Software and Hardware

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1