UPS email locks-out user

Networking/Security Forums -> Viruses // Worms

Author: morongoLocation: Palm Springs, CA PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:45 pm    Post subject: UPS email locks-out user
    ----
My daughter clicked on an email supposedly from UPS (since she had a package coming), it turned out to be a virus/worm/trojan, it messed her machine up.

She's running XP home, sp2.

She tells me she ran Kaspersky and it found a bunch of stuff but before it could finish, the machine shut down.

She rebooted and discovered she couldn't get in to the machine, so called me over to have a look.

When you try to boot the system it goes to a normal log in screen, user clicks their icon (no password required on this machine), screen flashes and then returns to the original (same) log-in screen.

Trying start in safe mode does the same thing, it goes right back to the safe-mode start screen whether you select 'safe mode', 'safe mode with networking' or 'safe mode command prompt', no chance to get to safe-mode or a command prompt, can't get into the system.

Looks to me like it's gonna take a new system drive and just use the old drive for a data drive (after clean-up).

Any thoughts?

Tony

Author: Packrat1947 PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:38 am    Post subject:
    ----
Kaspersky has a free boot cd that you can run, update and clean your system. It comes down as an .iso which you burn to a disc.

The updates take quite a bit of time (maybe 30 minutes or so). The scan takes many hours, so run it overnight. It takes care of the normal trojans and rootkits.

F-secure and Dr. WebCure it also have bootables. We use these when a system won't boot. Personally, I always clone the HD before doing heavy duty malware cleaning.

Good luck,
Packrat1947

Author: morongoLocation: Palm Springs, CA PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:10 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Thanks, packrat.

I was gonna boot from a cd and fix the registry entry that causes this but my daughter was paranoid about other malware that might be on the drive so just wanted me to re-drive the machine, which is what I did.

Sometimes it's just easier to go with the flow than argue.

Networking/Security Forums -> Viruses // Worms

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1