HP Laptop just turns off by itself

Networking/Security Forums -> Hardware // Upgrades

Author: duketter PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:10 pm    Post subject: HP Laptop just turns off by itself
    ----
I have an HP Laptop DV6810US. I will be using it and then all of a sudden it will just turn off by itself. I can try pushing the power button to try and turn it back on but the lights will come on for a 1/2 second and sometimes it will beep once and then just turn right back off. So I removed the battery, unplugged it from the wall, and then held the power button down for 10 or so seconds. This seems to do the trick and it will then power back on.

It doesn't do this all the time, I would say once or twice a month but it has done it twice now in the last two days.

Any thoughts? Any free diagnostic tools I can run on it?

Author: ryansuttonLocation: San Francisco, California PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:23 pm    Post subject:
    ----
I've had similar symptoms in a laptop that was over heating, you may want to check with the laptop maker to see if they have a tool to monitor hardware temperatures. If not you could try downloading one. I don't recall what tool I used.

Author: DHay13Location: Pittsburgh, PA PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:25 am    Post subject:
    ----
CPUID HWmonitor will monitor temps but i'm not sure that's your problem. i have an HP dv9208 that does something similar. it won't shut off while it's running but when i try to start it up i sometimes have the same issues as you. it will power up for a couple of seconds then shut down. it will continue cycling like this until i hold the power button down to shut it off. it might take 5, 10, or 20 tries to finally start it up. i just had the MB replaced under warranty a month before this started so i'm sure it's clean inside. the other reason why i say it's not an overheating issue is that it will do it immediately on startup before it has a chance to get hot but once running it's fine.

my guess is a power supply issue or a graphics card that is consuming too much power at startup.

my warranty is up now so i'm stuck with it.

Author: jhonas PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Most likely you experience a laptop overheating problem and it would be fixed by cleaning the cooling module.

Networking/Security Forums -> Hardware // Upgrades

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1