New Threat!! Browser Hijack from YouTube download programs

Networking/Security Forums -> Spyware // Adware // Trojans Discussion

Author: metemi PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject: New Threat!! Browser Hijack from YouTube download programs
    ----
Redirects to fake Google home page. url is websearchadvice.com, or sometimes slightly different wording. such as hxxp://www.seacher.net/

In Internet Explorer, a message about the home page hijack comes up, saying that hxxp://www.google-feed.net/?CID=2&PID=STV is trying to set itself as my homepage. So websearchadvice and google-feed.net are 2 key terms here. A search for google-feed.net pretty much only points to the site of ParetoLogic which offers software specifically to get rid of this malware, only I tried it and it doesn't work at all, and ParetoLogic sounds like a pretty shady company if you search around about it.

I need to install SP3 for Windows XP before I can post my Hijack This logfile, but just wanted to give a heads up for this thing. It's nasty, I can't get rid of it. Here is what the redirect page looks like -

Moderator note: edited to invalidate dangerous URLs - capi

Author: metemi PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject:
    ----
Oh and btw it is hxxp://www.savetubevideo.com/ where I contracted this. Don't d/l this program!, don't even go to the site.

Also I should mention that Chrome is not affected by this. In Firefox I get redirected to this fake homepage every now and then. In IE it's rampant, can't even load IE without it pointing to this thing.

When I'm redirected, I can see a few url's in the status bar, -

searcher.net
counter.yadro.ru
veerbo.com

Any knowledge about this yet? It seems like a very new threat, as I cannot find much info about it.

<edited to break URL. AdamV>

Networking/Security Forums -> Spyware // Adware // Trojans Discussion

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1