How to really "clean" one's PC? (Windows 7)

Networking/Security Forums -> Beginners // Misc. Computer Questions

Author: Adam75 PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject: How to really "clean" one's PC? (Windows 7)
    ----
Hi everybody.

For my job, I use my computer (Windows 7 Professional) to produce sensible data about projects, sales, etc. To do that, I use several kinds of programs (MS Words and Excel, Adobe Photoshop and Flash, Autocad, statistical analysis software, and some others). After the work, I save all the files on a pendrive and (try to) remove all the "accessory" files created by the programs (application data, Temp folders, etc.). I also use a program (I don't remember its name now) that should definitely remove deleted files. However, I can't be sure that really my machine has been cleaned, and there is no trace of my work... what if I forget an accessory file? This has become a main concern for me because I suspect that someone in the office is able to access my machine (even if, of course, I set a password).

To conclude, my question is: is there a realiable way to really clean my PC after working with it, also in a way so that there wouldn't be any possibility to read deleted files, neither using special programs? (I don't want, naturally, to format the machine each time!).

Someone suggested me to install an XP virtual machine and work within it; but what would then change?

Maybe I'm asking something impossible... THANK YOU VERY MUCH IN ANY CASE!!!

Adam

Author: AdamVLocation: Leeds, UK PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 5:09 pm    Post subject:
    ----
I suspect you mean "sensitive" (as in "need to be kept private"), not sensible. (it's OK if English is not your first language, I'm just hoping I can help make your post make more sense to other readers).

The big difference if you did the work in a virtual machine (whether XP or some other option) is that you can quit the virtual machine without saving any changes, so all files, temporary files, registry changes etc made during the session are simply dropped and forgotton, not saved at all in the machine's definition, so next time you run it you have a clean slate to start again.

Hope this helps.

Author: Adam75 PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 5:20 pm    Post subject:
    ----
AdamV wrote:
I suspect you mean "sensitive" (as in "need to be kept private"), not sensible. (it's OK if English is not your first language, I'm just hoping I can help make your post make more sense to other readers).

The big difference if you did the work in a virtual machine (whether XP or some other option) is that you can quit the virtual machine without saving any changes, so all files, temporary files, registry changes etc made during the session are simply dropped and forgotton, not saved at all in the machine's definition, so next time you run it you have a clean slate to start again.

Hope this helps.

Yes, sorry, I meant "sensitive"! (I am Spanish...).
So, if I understand it right, installing the XP virtual machine allows me to create a "temporary", totally distinct machine, and all possible files created during the work within it are completely discarded, with no trace at all, when I close the virtual machine session: is it correct? This is just what I wanted... but I didn't think it was so easy!!!

THANK YOU!
A.

Author: AdamVLocation: Leeds, UK PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 10:03 am    Post subject:
    ----
Yes, but you do need to use the option to close and discard changes. If you just do a normal shutdown of the virtual machine, it does save changes (which is essential when you first install your applications of course).

Other options include MS SteadyState which allows you freeze your Windows installation in a similar way so it throws away all changes. Non-free solutions include third-party products like DeepFreeze.

Author: Adam75 PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 12:02 pm    Post subject:
    ----
AdamV wrote:
Yes, but you do need to use the option to close and discard changes. If you just do a normal shutdown of the virtual machine, it does save changes (which is essential when you first install your applications of course).

Ehm... I have installed Windows XP Mode, but I don't find that option: how can I close the virtual machine and discard changes? Also, should I activate the "Integration functions"?

MANY MANY THANKS, really!
A.

Author: athel.davis PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:18 am    Post subject:
    ----
To clean your PC you can use software like dipfreeze.so junk files and folders which you created will delete after every restart of your computer.You can also use other facility like virtualbox software so you can use many Os and there is no more need to clean your PC if you use this virtualbox because here there is nothing permanent all things are virtually stored.

Author: JamesMorgan PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject:
    ----
If you're using a computer temporarily, a good way to do this is to create a new login for yourself and work from there, and when you have finished working with the computer, log in as the main admin account and delete the account, settings and files of the account you used with your sensative data.

That should get rid of everything. Obviously if you're working with really really sensative data you should get a disk wiping utility (many free ones available) to wipe all the deleted files clean.

Disk wiping and stuff is another issue altogether and relates to disck drive hardware and how data is managed.

Author: Jiijapoa PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject:
    ----
I also about to ask same question, thanks for this information, i helped me..

Author: DuncanWilliams PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:24 am    Post subject: cleaning tools
    ----
A number of cleaners including privacy cleaners all free, small downloads.

> http://my.opera.com/internetsecurity/blog/2010/12/13/free-anti-malware-and-other-applications

Author: Madgeki PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:46 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Hi! so when i use virtual machine, it means it wont leave a single file on my pc???

Author: DuncanWilliams PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:08 am    Post subject: privacy issues -
    ----
Installing a virtual machine on your computer is probably a good idea if your a power user usually running linux as an operating system.

It involves a reasonable knowledge of computers to install and manage.

For the average user and to maintain maximum system speeds I would not recommend it as a solution.

In your browser:
Set to delete history and cookies on exit.

There are a lot of settings you can make that makes your browser more secure for maximum privacy:
http://my.opera.com/internetsecurity/blog/2011/01/11/clean-out-your-windows-computer-utilities-to-remove-unwanted-data

A suggested privacy utility set would be:
ccleaner.
Cleans your caches, temp files etc and has other user options.
Diskmax.
Go over your system and does a 5 stage cleanout of any leftover files.
Wipe.
deep cleaner.
In ccleaner there is an option to wipe your hard drive.
This will permanently delete any files that can be recovered from normal delete.
Eusing.
Cleans out leftover registry entries.
Revo.
Uninstalls programs and then removes lefover files and registry entries.

These free utilities are available here
http://my.opera.com/internetsecurity/blog/2011/01/11/free-anti-malware-and-other-applications

Author: RoboGeekLocation: LeRoy, IL PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:53 am    Post subject:
    ----
for public PC's we don't want any trace of data on, we use a M$ program called Steady State. we use it in libraries and internet cafe's, and a few other places like schools. You reboot and anything you changed or added is gone - its like a fresh install again.

Author: Allnsmth PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:33 am    Post subject:
    ----
You may be frustrated with having no backup partition before or data gone with those damaged or corrupted partition. So what you have to do is rushing to find a kind of partition recovery tool to recover your damaged or corrupted partitions. Fortunately, quickly and safely recovering your damaged or corrupted partitions, comes to your way

Author: georgec PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Running XP Mode on your windows 7 machine would impose a threat as running applications on the XP VM can be accessed from Windows 7! For more details check these articles:
http://www.windows7library.com/blog/util/windows-xp-mode/
http://www.windows7library.com/blog/util/applications-compatibility-part-4/

Author: chenyixiu PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 8:13 am    Post subject:
    ----
Clean up your computer immediately under the re-file and the like, or reinstall the system pictures.

Mod Note: Removed unrelated links. Graycat

Networking/Security Forums -> Beginners // Misc. Computer Questions

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1