will this prevent spam email?

Networking/Security Forums -> Anonymity // Privacy // Spam

Author: broken_screen PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:38 pm    Post subject: will this prevent spam email?
    ----
should i start using this mozilla add-on:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/162019/

will it work?

Author: SecurityTrend PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:25 am    Post subject:
    ----
The idea of rotating different EMail addresses for different sites can help minimize EMail SPAM to your main EMail address, but not necessarily totally prevent it.

Persistent spammers have other methods of getting you EMail.

Author: broken_screen PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:01 pm    Post subject:
    ----
thanks for the reply.

so does that mean spam doesn't just come from websites you register to? they can just find you anyway...

Author: SecurityTrend PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:52 am    Post subject:
    ----
That's right. EMail SPAM can come from many other sources including worms, friends mismanagement and spammers guessing EMail addresses.

The Firefox addon mentioned however should reduce the amount of SPAM from registering on websites.

Author: SecurityTrend PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject:
    ----
Another handy addon is MyWOT (Web of Trust) which can help with checking the safety of individual websites, including EMail SPAM problems.

Author: broken_screen PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject:
    ----
thanks for the tip.

i had a look at mywot and it seems pretty handy, a lot of people use it too which is always a good sign.

not sure about the user ratings though...i'm not sure people can always be trusted

Author: SecurityTrend PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:32 am    Post subject:
    ----
Yes user ratings do make me wonder sometimes what their motives are.

Since your keen, there is another Firefox addon called 'LinkExtend'. It uses safety analysis from various sources including MyWOT, SiteAdvisor and Norton. It may be more resource heavy but could be more suitable if you want to be extra cautious.

I also use BrowserDefender as it can show it's trustworthiness of a site when you hover over a link on a loaded webpage, as well as when a page is loaded.

Also good security software these days can have a 'bad' site list to actively block known rouge websites.

Author: broken_screen PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:05 pm    Post subject:
    ----
thanks for all your help. much appreciated

Author: SecurityTrend PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:42 am    Post subject:
    ----
Your welcome, thankyou for the feedback.

Author: JamesMorgan PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject:
    ----
This essentially acts like a dud email account for all those dubious websits that ask you to register before lurking.

Except it's automated and does a lot of the legwork for you. It doesn't really eliminate spam, just takes some of the "hits" for you, and passes through emails that you deem as safe.

I found that the best spam prevention for me was to switch to gmail, it's fantastic at neutralising spam. I've used yahoo and hotmail before, and I found even with junkmail you still need to monitor those boxes to check for false positivies. Gmail is really good with really identifying spam.

Author: georgec PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:51 pm    Post subject:
    ----
I agree 100% with TiaTorbert for both the sign-up thing and gmail. We tend to sign up to many different subscriptions, downloads, forms, etc. and then expect a clean mailbox! I too find gmail very good (almost perfect) in handling spam Smile

Networking/Security Forums -> Anonymity // Privacy // Spam

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1