Huge packet loss

Networking/Security Forums -> Beginners // Misc. Computer Questions

Author: MifuneKinski PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: Huge packet loss
    ----
Hi everyone,

My family recently switched to Cable internet from DSL, and after testing the ping I've discovered we're getting a huge percentage of packet loss. One test showed 83%. The ping is good to a local server, 21 ms, but what good is that if you're losing 80% of your information? What's causing this and how can we fix it? Any thoughts?

EDIT:
After doing a bit of research, I found that by using Netstat you can look at segments that were retransmitted, so I did a large upload and then looked at netstat with the command "netstat -s -p tcp" and found that out of the 133559 segments sents only 5 needed to be retransmitted.

Secondly, I should mention that when the Cable Modem was installed he used splitters on the cable coming out of the wall, as well as having to tinker with the line outside to get the connection he wanted.
Thanks for your consideration.

Chris Moore

Author: ryansuttonLocation: San Francisco, California PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:35 am    Post subject:
    ----
Do a continuous ping to your DSL modem. If there is no packet loss (which is what it sounds like), ping your first public gateway - or if you dont know the IP of your first public gateway, ping yahoo.com with at least 100 packets.

If you are only dropping packets to outside nodes, contact your ISP. You will likely have to get to the second level of support to actually get someone useful who understands the problem.

P.S. If your carrier is SBC, you might try asking them for a "rip and rebuild" - when I worked for SBC this was the terminology we used to remove and reconfigure someone's configuration in the field router.

Author: Aram PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Huge packet loss
    ----
MifuneKinski wrote:
Hi everyone,

My family recently switched to Cable internet from DSL, and after testing the ping I've discovered we're getting a huge percentage of packet loss. One test showed 83%. The ping is good to a local server, 21 ms, but what good is that if you're losing 80% of your information? What's causing this and how can we fix it? Any thoughts?

EDIT:
After doing a bit of research, I found that by using Netstat you can look at segments that were retransmitted, so I did a large upload and then looked at netstat with the command "netstat -s -p tcp" and found that out of the 133559 segments sents only 5 needed to be retransmitted.

Secondly, I should mention that when the Cable Modem was installed he used splitters on the cable coming out of the wall, as well as having to tinker with the line outside to get the connection he wanted.
Thanks for your consideration.

Chris Moore

Please check if the DSL modem is OK, and the cables are not faulty. Then contact your ISP and inform them about problem: they should fix it

Author: hitech PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject:
    ----
There are some tips about Cable Modem Troubleshooting.

Networking/Security Forums -> Beginners // Misc. Computer Questions

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1