Windows Access Restrictions

Networking/Security Forums -> General Security Discussion

Author: Jamestec PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject: Windows Access Restrictions
    ----
Hello, I have Windows Professional SP3.

How do I restrict a user's access to 'C: drive' ,but still allow them to run programs in the 'C: drive'. I want to make them not be able to view the folders and files in the 'C: drive', but still be able to run them with shortcuts.

I have tried going to 'Properties', 'Security' Tab and then changing the stuff, and i've managed to notice that if I disable 'List Folder/Read Data', the user can't access 'C: drive', but it also make other things not work, e.g my Antivirus. I've also tried 'Only this Folder' but it still the same.

So how to I make a user not able to look at the contents of 'C: drive', but still able to run programs from 'C: drive'?

Author: Dezaxa PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject:
    ----
If I understand your requirement correctly, the privilege you need to set is called "Traverse Folder/Execute File". You may also need to remove the "bypass traverse checking" privilege from the user. There is more information about file and folder privileges in Windows XP here:

[url]http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308419 [/url]

Alternatively, you may be able to work round the issue by storing whatever confidential information you have in a separate partition.

Author: Jamestec PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Removing the account in "Bypass Transverse Checking" doesn't work for me, it doesn't let me log in at all for that account.

Any more ideas?

Networking/Security Forums -> General Security Discussion

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1