Hard Drive Encryption

Networking/Security Forums -> General Security Discussion

Author: bonnita PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: Hard Drive Encryption
    ----
Does anyone have good information on drive encryption? Along the lines of best practices and pitfalls.

Also, if anyone has recomendations of products that may work well.

Author: PhiBerLocation: Your MBR PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:26 pm    Post subject:
    ----
For personal/small business use I would recommend TrueCrypt. For medium to large scale use I would recommend PGP WDE.

In regards to best practices, do you have some specific questions?

Author: Fire AntLocation: London PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:21 pm    Post subject:
    ----
I agree with PhiBer, both are good products. FYI I use both.

Best practice for PGP is to use the WDE best practice guide on the support portal. Pitfalls include do not forget your password and recovery token! Truecrypt is great for single use but if you need to manage multiple systems then you might want to look at PGP Universal Server but that bumps up the cost. You might want to look at Microsoft Bitlocker which has some downsides but it is free.

Fire Ant

Author: CoreDefendLocation: USA PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:30 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Is this for personal use or at work?

Keep in mind that entire process of protecting hard drives including sanitation and destruction of media.

If this is just for a home pc or a couple of desktops, TrueCrypt works great.

Networking/Security Forums -> General Security Discussion

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1