windows will not boot

Networking/Security Forums -> Beginners // Misc. Computer Questions

Author: kinloss1 PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:41 pm    Post subject: windows will not boot
    ----
hi, hope this is in the right section, apologies if it is not, my problem is that when i went to start my pc i get the error message

`windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt :
<windows root>\system 32\ntoskrnl.exe.
please re install a copy of the above file,

i have tried inserting the windows xp disc but although the cd drive is working, the green light flashes when disk is inserted, and was working fine untill the above problem, i have tried going to the bios and changing the boot order, tried safe mode, etc, ttried last known good configuartion, i also am aware that the hd is spinning,

the board i am using is n1996 with ide connection, no sata on board, running windows xp

any advise here would be much appreciated,

Author: CoreDefendLocation: USA PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:09 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Can you boot from an external CD/DVD drive or USB? There is usually a Function key that will trigger an alternate boot method (F10 or F12).

Use the EXPAND command to copy the needed file once you get into Recovery Console.

Author: kinloss1 PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject:
    ----
thanks for that, haven`t tried either, don`t have an external cd/dvd drive but to boot from usb what would i need on the usb?, also gives me three options to boot from usb, theses are USB-FDD, USB-ZIP, USB-CDROM, AND USB-HDD,

thanks again

Networking/Security Forums -> Beginners // Misc. Computer Questions

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1