Browser usage when travelling security advice? (your own lap

Networking/Security Forums -> Beginners // Misc. Computer Questions

Author: callagga PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:52 pm    Post subject: Browser usage when travelling security advice? (your own lap
    ----
Hi,

What's a quick summary of the do/don't re usage of browsers when travelling. In particular:

Scenario 1 - At an internet cafe. (not your PC)
Scenario 2 - With your own laptop (but maybe in open wifi area)

For each of these:
Q1 - What precautions are necessary to do medium risk activity (e.g. gmail etc)?
Q2 - What precautions are necessary for higher risk activity (e.g. Internet Banking)?
Q3 - For the Scenario 2 case, is buying/taking your own cheap router still useful?

So I'm hoping for a clarification that may look something like this? (just as an example of what I'm looking for)
Scenario 1 - At an internet cafe. (not your PC)
* Avoid at all cost if possible, but if you have to use it then:
* VPN into your home PC to do browsing (e.g. logmein free tool - https://secure.logmein.com/products/free/ )
* Risks - Still could be prone to keyboard/screen logging hence for high risk internet banking only do such banking where you are using a one-pass dongle (or use of onetime code sent to your mobile from bank)

Scenario 2 - With your own laptop (but maybe in open wifi area)
* For medium/high risk browsing could use Firefox HTTPS anywhere (illiminates risk of man in the middle??)
* No real need to VPN into home PC to do browsing here (???) if all in HTTPS

thanks

Author: CoreDefendLocation: USA PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:00 am    Post subject:
    ----
Don't access anything that requires your username and password, especially financial or health information.

If you are on your own computer, I would create a Virtual Machine for public browsing and disable javascript.

Consider the information accessed on these devices and networks as already compromised; if you are okay with that, then browse those sites. Otherwise stay away.

Networking/Security Forums -> Beginners // Misc. Computer Questions

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1