Email Security

Networking/Security Forums -> General Security Discussion

Author: lopezlaura07 PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:18 pm    Post subject: Email Security
    ----
I want to protect my content by protecting it from others so that they do not read it. How can I protect contents in my emails?

Author: Dezaxa PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Welcome to the forum. I'm assuming you are looking for a personal solution. There are several free email encryption products around; some are described in this link... http://www.brighthub.com/computing/smb-security/articles/38933.aspx

To that list I would add OpenPGP if you want a more heavy duty public key product.

With some of these solutions, you will need to convey a password to the recipient of your email. If possible, try to send the password using a completely different medium, e.g. by phone, SMS or instant message.

Also, remember that some countries place legal restrictions on the use of encryption and most countries have laws under which you can be compelled to decrypt encrypted messages if required to do so by law enforcement or some other authority.

Author: smithjessica PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Email Security
    ----
There are many ways to protect content in your email. I usually prefer email security appliance that not only protects my content from third party but also protects it from web-based threats including spam, viruses, malware, URL filtering, blended threats, spyware and network attacks.

Author: krugger PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Yeah, encrypting you emails is the solution to assure that their content remains private. The main problem with that is that the people you are sending to have to also have software to decrypt it. And most don't...

So even appliances can't help you there, because if a person doesn't have a published PGP key you can't send an encrypted mail to her.

Networking/Security Forums -> General Security Discussion

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1