will my comcast modem protect me if i connect directly to it

Networking/Security Forums -> Networking

Author: joeyg2391 PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:41 pm    Post subject: will my comcast modem protect me if i connect directly to it
    ----
hello guys,
i stumbled across this when i was testing my network. I currently have docsis 3.0 comcast modem and from there it connects to my router using the static ip address i was given by comcast. the comcast modem has 4 ports and i noticed when i connected my laptop to one of the empty ports i got a private 10. ip address range and was able to browse the internet. What i plan to achieve is to use my static ip address to server my mail server and domain needs and connect a gigabit switch to one of the empty ports on the cable modem and connect my desktops and laptops to the switch. Does this pose a security risk for my laptops and desktops? Im sure the comcast modem is also acting as a switch/router.

thanks

Author: creat1on PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:28 am    Post subject:
    ----
It depends on the model. If you ate getting a private IP the modem router combo is serving a duel function and us doing Nat translations. Are you safe? No are you better off than someone running straight to a regular modem.. yes.

Networking/Security Forums -> Networking

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1