No internet access on laptop

Networking/Security Forums -> Networking

Author: emschnel PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:56 pm    Post subject: No internet access on laptop
    ----
I have a head scratcher here. I am unable to get internet access on my laptop.

Malwarebytes Full scan is coming up completely clean both in safemode and in regular. (although I can't completely guarantee this as I cannot update it). Also used TDS Scanner to check for rootkits and it also came up with nothing.

Hijackthis log is coming up clean with no proxies preventing outgoing traffic.

As stated previously, safemode with networking offers no additional help. I have also tried with IE, Firefox and Chrome... none of which are able to connect.

Lastly I am able to connect to my network just fine. I can see other computers on my network and even copy files between them. Other wireless devices work fine on my router.

I can even use ipconfig /all and see I am getting a valid IP from the router AND I can ping www.google.com without loosing any packets.

Currently running windows 7 home premium

Author: ryansuttonLocation: San Francisco, California PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:13 am    Post subject:
    ----
Does it work if you connect the laptop VIA an ethernet cable to your router?

Author: emschnel PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:05 am    Post subject:
    ----
No it does not work through ethernet either.

Author: ryansuttonLocation: San Francisco, California PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject:
    ----
It's possible that winsock is broken. To verify, open up a command prompt and type ipconfig/renew. Do you get an error message?

Author: emschnel PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject:
    ----
No error except for lan, because its not connected. Wifi connection seamed to renew fine

Author: ryansuttonLocation: San Francisco, California PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:52 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Sorry this thread got away from me.

It really sounds like a malware problem. MBAM & HJT probably wont catch a good rootkit, or other nastier infections. You can post in our malware removal forums if you would like, our experts there can find anything!

Author: emschnel PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:59 pm    Post subject:
    ----
no problem. I should of posted back and said I resolved the issue. Turned out it was my WinSock after all

I was able to resolve it with these commands.

netsh winsock reset catalog
netsh int ip reset reset.log

What I didn't realize was that the x64 applications such as IE x64 would go out to the internet... Same with widgets on my desktop. I guess something got screwed up with the winsock to were it couldn't figure out what to do with 32 bit programs that needed access to the internet lol

Thanks for getting back

Author: ryansuttonLocation: San Francisco, California PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:17 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Glad you fixed it, winsock problems can be tricky.

Author: ryansuttonLocation: San Francisco, California PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject:
    ----
timOfish, I would recommend starting a new thread so others can chime in.

Author: emschnel PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject:
    ----
As I stated in one of my previous posts to this thread. I used the following two commands

netsh winsock reset catalog
netsh int ip reset reset.log

But as ryansutton suggested, if this doesn't fix your issue you should start a new thread

Networking/Security Forums -> Networking

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1