Laptop Stolen? So what!!!

Networking/Security Forums -> Beginners // Misc. Computer Questions

Author: Hikingnola PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject: Laptop Stolen? So what!!!
    ----
What do I need to do to ensure if my Windows 7 laptop is stolen, the thieves cannot access my personal data?

I'm no computer expert, and the more I read - the more stuff seems to need done. I don't have a reference to know what is the high-priority stuff and what will have minor impact on security.

For example, what is critically important to do RIGHT NOW:
* BIOS password?
* encrypt hard drive using BitLocker?
* set NTFS user access permissions to files/folders/drives?
* 3rd party encryption solution (e.g. a smart card or USB drive or RSA key generator)?
* other stuff?

Any direction you can give is appreciated ... hopefully along with brief layman's explanation ... ?

Jon

Author: georgec PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:02 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Actually, you have answered the question yourself! the steps you mentioned are all what you need! Search the web for details how to implement them.

Author: Fire AntLocation: London PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject:
    ----
The following are easily bypassed and will not stop anyone other than maybe a drug addled fiend:

* BIOS password
* set NTFS user access permissions to files/folders/drives?

The following will stop pretty much everyone other than maybe the government or anyone with access to a rubber hose:
* encrypt hard drive using BitLocker?
* 3rd party encryption solution (e.g. a smart card or USB drive or RSA key generator)?

Fire Ant

Networking/Security Forums -> Beginners // Misc. Computer Questions

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1