good tool for exporting sent email "To" field?

Networking/Security Forums -> Exchange 2000 // 2003 // 2007 & Active Directory

Author: moondoggie PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject: good tool for exporting sent email "To" field?
    ----
i am trying to export the "To" field for a client from their sent emails over a period of one year. we have Exchange 2007 and i have successfully exported the sent messages during that time frame into a PST but when i try to export that PST into Excel, i not only get hundreds of duplicates (expected) but i also get multiple "To" addresses on the same line. does anyone have a tool they can recommend (preferably free) that can separate these fields so i don't have to do quite so much work? Wink

Author: AdamVLocation: Leeds, UK PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:57 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Assuming the email addresses are separated by something (a space, semicolon, comma, etc), you could simply use the "text to columns" feature in Excel.
This will split it out into separate columns, and you should then be able to easily copy and paste everything from column B below A, then C below those etc, then use duplicate removal to take the dupes out.

Thinking about it, you should run dupe removal once before you do all that to reduce the number of rows you have to play with. Obviously some addresses will turn up more than once on emails in different combinations, but there are likely to be many sent to only one person or to a consistent group.
So de-dupe, then split columns, copy and paste, de-dupe final result. If you have problems with too many rows to paste everything in one column, do a de-dupe after every paste to keep the size down.

Hope this helps

Author: moondoggie PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:08 am    Post subject:
    ----
the problem i was having was that when i did "export to file -> Excel 97-2003" i would get an Excel file which had a single line reading something like "/OU=xx,/CN=xx/OTHER EXCHANGE DATA;address@somebody.com;person@business.org;email@example.com etc all on one single line. i ended up finding a program from DSDevelopment installed on one of our users' computers which took all those PSTs and allowed me to export every address it found into a single column in an excel file.

Networking/Security Forums -> Exchange 2000 // 2003 // 2007 & Active Directory

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1