Work at home? Here's how to stay secure

Networking/Security Forums -> General Security Discussion

Author: RottzLocation: East Coast, USA PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 7:09 pm    Post subject: Work at home? Here's how to stay secure
    ----
Work at home? Here's how to stay secure
By Robert Vamosi
Robert Vamosi wrote:
With the wide availability of broadband Internet connections and inexpensive, fast desktop computers and printers, setting up a home office where you can truly be productive has never been easier. But there are significant security tradeoffs to working at home.

One benefit of working in a cubicle is that your company's IT department takes care of your network security: Your computer sits behind a firewall and runs an antivirus app that's always up-to-date. Most companies also use antivirus software for the network gateway, filter content, and employ an Intrusion Detection System (IDS)--all of which block malicious code.

At home, with an always-on DSL or cable modem Net connection, you're pretty vulnerable. While some companies require their remote workers to install antivirus and firewall software before being allowed access to the company VPN, most do not.

There's some great software out there that can help those of you who work at home--full-time or just occasionally--safeguard your systems and data.

If you are employed by a company, and work at home only occasionally, I suggest you talk to your IT department about your home setup to make sure it's secure. They should be able to give you all the help you need.

However, if you're in business for yourself, I recommend installing [url=reviews-zdnet.com.com/PC_cillin_2003/4505-3514_16-20722940.html]Trend Micro's PC-cillin 2003[/url] or [url=reviews-zdnet.com.com/McAfee_VirusScan_Home_Edition_7_0/4505-3514_16-20288840.html]McAfee VirusScan[/url] on all your systems. Both offer good antivirus systems plus decent built-in firewalls. For a few bucks more, you can get a full-strength firewall such as [url=reviews-zdnet.com.com/ZoneAlarm_Pro_4_0/4505-3514_16-21131904.html]ZoneAlarm Pro 4.0[/url]. While not directly related to security, another app that's useful for at-home workers is [url=reviews-zdnet.com.com/Norton_SystemWorks_2003/4505-3514_16-20186122.html]Norton SystemWorks 2003[/url]. It'll defrag your hard drives and clean out your registry files to keep your computers in good working condition.

<snip>

IF ALL YOU WANT is encryption, there's always [url=reviews-zdnet.com.com/PGP_Personal_for_Windows_8_0/4505-3514_16-20756518.html]PGP for Windows[/url], the de facto app for encrypting all your sensitive data. The latest version works with MS Outlook, Lotus Notes, and other e-mail clients.

Whether you run a business from home, work remotely now and then, or are just borrowing a company laptop, you should take some time to think about how to stay secure and maintain your privacy. A little forethought and planning could save you from a disaster down the road.
Full Article: Work at home? Here's how to stay secure

He got a few facts wrong, like IDS doesn't block malicious code, just detects it, but he got the basic points down. I don't agree with all his software picks, I think he was just using them cause ZDnet reviewed them and he wanted to point them out. But I always says, something is always better than nothing.

All users, especially windows broadband users, should have the basic tools. Everyone should have a Anti-Virus product, Personal Firewall, and pgp for their email clients.

Personally I use Norton System Works, well cause a friend had the CD, but all the tools work great. I use speed disk to defrag at least once a month, use Norton AntiVirus which is always upto date with liveupdate. The one button checkup is good to run once a month, to clean the registry and cleck on varies other windows problem areas.

I also use Zone Alarm(free version) which gets alot of critisism around here, but I think its a good product that works well, easy to use, and gets the job done. I can control what connects to the internet, I can monitor my ZAlogs to see all the connection attempts. But I also like the upload/download indicator in my systray! Wink

For email I actually use my securityflaw account thru ssh and use Pine/GnuPG. But if I used a windows email client, I'd prolly use Eudora or Pegasus since they have PGP support(I think), but would NEVER use outlook* because there are just too many viruses designed around it.

I just noticed that they have GnuPG for windows, anyone know a windows client that supports it?

Author: squidlyLocation: Umm.. I dont know.. somewhere PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 9:06 pm    Post subject:
    ----
I think Mozilla can handel the GPG windows.. As for Eudora or Pegeasus.. im not sure.

Networking/Security Forums -> General Security Discussion

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1