Sharing home WIFI with Work laptop

Networking/Security Forums -> Firewalls // Intrusion Detection - External Security

Author: dustyfog PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:43 am    Post subject: Sharing home WIFI with Work laptop
    ----
Sorry about this newbie question but I have a concern at the moment that I may be compromising my home computer's security by entering the WIFI security key into my work computer when I bring it home. So if my employer wanted to see what I was doing on my work own home computer perhaps they could get into it as they have the WIFI key and hence access to my home network. Is this something I should be worrying about?

Thank you for your help.

Dusty.

Author: Intnull0 PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject:
    ----
If you make windows forget the wireless network and not keep the wireless key you can prevent someone from getting the key from your work PC.

In Control Panel, Network and Sharing Center, click on Manage Wireless networks and edit the entry for the SSID in question to Not remember the password.

Connect to your wireless network as you normally would and it will prompt for the password. (Make sure it is set to not remember the password). Of course you will have to enter the password every time you connect. Only way they could get the key at this point would be to install a key logger on your work PC or actively try to break the key by sitting outside your house and sniffing the traffic...if that is the case you must be doing something wrong.

Networking/Security Forums -> Firewalls // Intrusion Detection - External Security

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1