Book Review - Complete Wireless Home Networking

Networking/Security Forums -> News // Columns // Articles

Author: TheKingsterLocation: UK PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 2:35 pm    Post subject: Book Review - Complete Wireless Home Networking
    ----
Complete Wireless Home Networking

Author(s): Paul Heltzel
Publisher: Prentice Hall PTR
Book Specifications: Soft-Cover, 197 Pages
Category: Wireless Networking
User Level: Basic knowledge of wired networks recommended
Suggested Publisher Price: $19.99 U.S, $30.99 canada
ISBN: 0-07-222934-9
Amazon.com: Complete Wireless Home Networking

From the Publisher: This book is intended for anyone who wants to get a home wireless network up and running in no time, with no previous experience in networking required. You'll find simple instructions and tips for computers running Windows 98 through XP, including how to make them peacefully co-exist.

Info from Back: Fast, reliable, secure home wireless networks-the easy way!

Today's home wireless networks offer tremendous advantages over hard-wired networks-among them, unprecedented portability and, of course, the freedom from wires strung all over your house! Unless you have a firm grasp on all the latest networking technologies, though, wireless networks won't free you from digging your way through a collection of confusing, jargon-riddled manuals; dealing with obscure configuration modes; and finally, hoping somehow it will all work once you flip the switch.

Introduction

If you want a home wireless network without the headaches, then Complete Wireless Home Networking: Windows XP Edition, by wireless networking authority Paul Heltzel, is for you. Written in an engaging, conversational style, this book offers reliable advice on determining your equipment needs, then guides you through each step of building a wireless network-installation, setup, configuration, and troubleshooting. And with minimal fuss, you'll have a home wireless network that's fast, secure, and optimized for your physical environment and computing requirements. Whether you're accessing the Internet from your back yard, sending jobs to a printer downstairs, or transferring files effortlessly, you'll wonder how you got by without a wireless network.

Book Outline

Chapter 1 - Why Network Wirelessly?

Chapter 2 - Getting Ready.

Chapter 3 - Wireless Considerations.

Chapter 4 - Wireless Hardware and Software Setup.

Chapter 5 - Making Use of Wireless Standards.

Chapter 6 - Finding Hardware and Help.

Chapter 7 - Step-by-Step Networking with Windows.

Chapter 8 - Step-by-Step with Windows XP.

Chapter 9 - Routers and Internet Connection Sharing.Chapter 10 - Become Internet Ready.

Chapter 11 - Troubleshoot Wireless Connections.

Chapter 12 - Security.

Chapter 13 - Adding a Server.

Presentation and Content Quality

Style and Detail

At a first glance through this book, it looks exactly what its aimed for - newbies. Big writing, plenty of illustrations, step by step guides and even better - the security factor. Of course a wireless network is probably one of the most insecure networks around, with the ability any passerby can connect to your network with the right tools - and this book covers this
brilliantly.

What really impressed me about this book is the fact that it has paid so much attention to detail. The step by step guides to installing wireless networks for users on Windows 98 aswell as the expected XP is brilliant, a basic user cannot go wrong. I do however still stick to my guns in the user level rating I have given this book, mainly for the fact that I wouldn't like to tackle any kind of wireless network with any kind of book without the basic knowledge of wired networks behind me.

Looking through the chapters they are in a good order, well laid out and understandable....the book even touches subjects not relevant to wireless networking such as setting up e-mails and adding instant messages to your network, and as a backup even touches the surface on searching newsgroups and using search engines to help find answers the book doesn't cover.

There is extensive coverage of all the wireless networking standards, 802.11b, a and g, having them in a mixed enviroment, connecting a wireless network access point to a wired network aswell as the above in the book online section.

As a final note I was particulary impressed with the fact that it has a section on troubleshooting peer to peer network issues in a mixed 98 - 2000, XP environment, something that if you search security-forums for, you will find there are common problems.

Conclusion

I personally think this book excels, attention to detail and coverage of all possible subject areas is brilliant.... I have tried to find a fault, but can't. Its that simple. In fact, actually, I could. It includes a section on setting up wireless networking on Windows ME Very Happy

It's gets an SFDC 10/10 from me, I was impressed, the author has obviously thought long and hard about its content and quality, and not to forget a bargain at the price.

This review is copyright 2003 by the author and Security-Forums Dot Com, and may not be reproduced in any form in any media without the express permission of the author, or Security-Forums Dot Com.

Networking/Security Forums -> News // Columns // Articles

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1