• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

TIFFs & JPGs

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Macintosh

View previous topic :: View next topic  
catwoman
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:50 am    Post subject: TIFFs & JPGs Reply with quote

I have an odd question - I've had numerous people complain to me that when I create a TIFF or JPEG file of a scanned image on my Mac, that they can't open it on a PC. Now, I'm using Mac OS X and use photoshop to create the files. What I can't understand is that I have tested these files myself of various PCs and have always been able to open them - I've also inserted TIFFs that I created into Powerpoint presentations and have never had a problem. My understanding is that TIFF and JPG are standard file types and not platform specific.

Is this a case of people not being able to work their PCs, or am I overlooking something?

btw, the ones that have had a problem with this are the type that click on a file and if it doesn't open, say the file is crap - they never consider trying to open it from within an application. I'm just getting a bit fed up with people saying "oh it's because you've got a Mac, can you use a PC and send me the files again!"
effortless
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: TIFFs & JPGs Reply with quote

catwoman wrote:
btw, the ones that have had a problem with this are the type that click on a file and if it doesn't open, say the file is cr@p - they never consider trying to open it from within an application. I'm just getting a bit fed up with people saying "oh it's because you've got a Mac, can you use a PC and send me the files again!"

You've answered your own question I'd say. Blind prejudice I'm afraid darling. Rolling Eyes
catwoman
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: TIFFs & JPGs Reply with quote

effortless wrote:
You've answered your own question I'd say. Blind prejudice I'm afraid darling. Rolling Eyes

Thanks Effortless Hello! Waving!

Last edited by catwoman on Wed Mar 17, 2004 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
b4rtm4n
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought.

Does the Mac give the files an automatic extension like .jpg or .tif?? If not you could add these on when saving the files.

But yeah you're right, it's the biological component at the receiving end thats the main problem. Very Happy
catwoman
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

b4rtm4n wrote:
Just a thought.

Does the Mac give the files an automatic extension like .jpg or .tif?? If not you could add these on when saving the files.

Well, you're right, the Mac won't automatically add these so I add them on myself in order for the "clik icon" type of user to open them.

b4rtm4n wrote:
But yeah you're right, it's the biological component at the receiving end thats the main problem. Very Happy

Ty - I'll tell them that I heard that from an expert Laughing
arken
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as jpg goes, photoshop will add some information that is not usable by some browsers (with recent versions of photoshop). I'm not sure if there is a similar issue with TIFF files, tho I don't think you should be having any issues with TIFF itself. To save a jpg file for general use, I'd say use the save for web function ( file -> save for web ). Try it out and see if it helps.

As far as TIFFs go, are you sure the end folk have a program to view TIFFs properly? I don't think I've had an easy time viewing TIFF files without using an external imaging program like photoshop. Tho, I don't exactly remember since I only open TIFFs using an imaging program now.

So, yeah, save for web and make sure they have a program to view TIFF files. Using a MAC has nothing to do with it, of that I can more than assure you.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Macintosh All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: