• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Stealth port 0

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Networking

View previous topic :: View next topic  

How many days a week do you spend fixing your computer instead of using your computer?
None
69%
 69%  [ 16 ]
1 to 3 days
21%
 21%  [ 5 ]
4 to 5 days
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
6 to 7 days
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 23

Hume
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:45 am    Post subject: Stealth port 0 Reply with quote

Evil or Very Mad Ok I have had this problem for some time and it still hasn't been solved. I went to www.grc.com (Shields Up) to check the status of my ports and everything is on stealth except for port 0. As it states in the description is that port 0 is not an actual port but a wildcard to an available port. This port is closed but I want it to be stealth; however, I don't know how to do this on my Belkin 4-port cable/dsl gateway router F5D5231-4. Some people have told me that because the port is closed there is not too much to worry about because a connection can't be established. I just want to put the port on stealth for peace of mind and to tighten security for my network.

Thanks for any help u can offer to help solve this issue. Razz
larsmhansen
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take the advice given. Stealth is not only overrated and overhyped, it's irrelevant. So, quit worrying and move on with your life.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Hume
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Well are you saying that having stealth ports is useless because there is a way around it? If so please explain.

In my current setup that port is the only one that does not show up as stealth; however, it also show that my computer has responded to solicited TCP packets. My guess is port 0 because it is the only one not stealthed. But I stated earlier stealth seems to overrated. At this point I am more curious to see if there is anyone that even knows how to stealth port 0 because the more i discuss this people just seem to try to convince me to not worry about. Perhaps that is one way to handle it; however, it doesn't fix it.

I NEED HELP!?!
squidly
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TCP port 0 is for TCP multiplex. It is kind of like a tcp proxy for incoming connection.

check out http://www.lisp-p.org/tcpmux/node3.html

They may help you.

Also what OS are you running?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
larsmhansen
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can always try to forward port 0 to a LAN IP address not in use. IF your router allows this, port 0 should show as "stealth".

The reason why I said "don't worry" is because stealth does not improve your security, it does not hide your system, and is in general as useful as pulling a sock over your head thinking you're now invisible...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Hume
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off I thank any and all information. Very Happy

I am using Windows 2000 w/ SP4
I will check out the link and return later.
asusanator
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In relation to the poll. The only reason for the 1-3 days is because i like to test new things, so i am forever messing things up.

secondly, Stealthing is not that important, as long as you dont have services running begind your ports (closed) then they cant exactly do anything.

KDE
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hume
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as my router goes it will not let me forward port 0 because when I enter port 0 it says it's an invalid port number.
zeedo
SF Reviewer
SF Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep most devices will not allow you to use port 0.

I played with port 0 recently on my box, in order to get netcat to listen and connect to port 0, I had to both hack netcat and the Linux kernel, without doing so I couldnt use it.

You can therefore use port 0 but if you tried to send it over the internet, from what I've seen, most routers will block your packets.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
madonnafinn
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:04 am    Post subject: Closing port O--I did it Reply with quote

I got shields up to say that my port 0 is stealth. I first should ask what firewall you are using. In my firewall program there is a way to add a port to the list of blocked ports, I found this out by asking one of their technicians. Please tell me what firewall you are using that way I can try to help you.
Hume
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using my routers firewall software, don't think it has a name except for the router as I said in my first post it's a Belkin 4-port cable/dsl gateway router F5D5231-4 but any attempt to enter port 0 into the router have failed.
Karina
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Stealth port 0 Reply with quote

Hume wrote:
Evil or Very Mad Ok I have had this problem for some time and it still hasn't been solved. I went to www.grc.com (Shields Up) to check the status of my ports and everything is on stealth except for port 0. As it states in the description is that port 0 is not an actual port but a wildcard to an available port. This port is closed but I want it to be stealth; however, I don't know how to do this on my Belkin 4-port cable/dsl gateway router F5D5231-4. Some people have told me that because the port is closed there is not too much to worry about because a connection can't be established. I just want to put the port on stealth for peace of mind and to tighten security for my network.

Thanks for any help u can offer to help solve this issue. Razz

get a better firewall.
madonnafinn
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhere in your firewall options there should be a list of some sort that tells you which ports are blocked or would be stealth, HTTP and Netbios should be in there along with others, it could be listed in the security part of your firewall options. If you can find that there should be an option of adding a port, then for TCP and UDP incoming and outgoing enter 0. A better firewall would be a great idea because I know that the really good ones have this option. If in true doubt contact on of the firewall technicians again if this is an option, most firewall companies offer online support and can have a technician assist you with the problem you are having. If that's not an option seriously think of getting a better firewall
Hume
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it has the option to block ports; however, it wont let me enter port 0 as the port number because it says it's an invalid port number.

What is a better firewall/router to get? Any thing you can recommend.
0x54
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pf (OpenBSD's firewall) is nice :>, though not what your looking for i suspect, still, if you got a 486 or p1 hanging around, might give you something to do one weekend.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Networking All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: