• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Apache questions

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Networking

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dsantamassino
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 1:31 am    Post subject: Apache questions Reply with quote

hello everyone, Im new to this forum!!

I was following along with an Apache guide to configure Apache, MySQL and PHP on an Windows XP system. I went to dyndns.org and got a free network domain so when i installed apache i put the network dmain in and put the same for server name but i added the www. for the server name. Is that correct so far?? well anway i put my IP in my browser but it keeps prompting for an user name and password which i dont have. I have ADSL and my IP is dynamic. Can anyone help me out?? Please reply back ASAP. thanks.

Moderator note: moved from General Chat - capi
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
arken
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure you're not hitting the remote admin login for your router? Apache, by default, will give you an install success page. Dont worry about MySQL and PHP until you can successfully use your web server both locally and remotely. My suggestion is to make sure apache is working first, and to use 127.0.0.1 to check it (from the local machine). Once you have that working, make sure your router is set up (if indeed you use one) to forward the necessary ports to the proper machine and try connecting to it from a system on the outside. Once you are able to communicate fully with the web server, then continue on with PHP and finally MySQL (or however the doc you're reading suggests).
UziMonkey
SF Reviewer
SF Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I know what the problem is. You have a home broadband router, right? You must forward port 80 to your internal machine, else you may be hitting the router's webserver. This would also explain the login box.

Also, don't just stick www on the front of any old hostname, that will only give you headaches. www is a convention, and is in no way necessary. For single-machine domains (like most websites), www is usually a CNAME to another machine in the domain anyway.

Edit: Someone beat me to the response Razz I'd also like to note that your external IP or hostname might not work internally, depending on how your router works. To test your site internally, use the internal IP address. You might be able to test it coming from the outside by using a proxy server outside your network.
dsantamassino
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the replies. Sorry but i dont use a router. I have an ADSL connection which is high speed. will that make a difference?? Maybe when i get some money i will look into routers..
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rayxen
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the brand and model of your ADSL Modem?
dsantamassino
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rayxen wrote:
What is the brand and model of your ADSL Modem?

ok its SpeedStream 5200. Was that what you was looking for?? I hope so..
alextoader
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe you've messed with .htaccess files in your www directory...has this server ever worked ok?
Rayxen
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, thanks. The 5200 has a Web Interface and allows Remote Access. I suggest you see if you can disable remote access on the Web Interface first, or check what port it is running on and change it from 80 to something else.
http://www.alltel.net/downloads/links/firewall/
dsantamassino
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rayxen wrote:
Yes, thanks. The 5200 has a Web Interface and allows Remote Access. I suggest you see if you can disable remote access on the Web Interface first, or check what port it is running on and change it from 80 to something else.
http://www.alltel.net/downloads/links/firewall/

Ray,

will you please please help me through email or IM messenger?? otherwise im lost.. I sort of have a learning disability and i learn slow so i need someone walk me through step by step and your probably going to need my IP to test my server which i refuse to give it on the board.
Rayxen
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm not familiar with that Modem at all, but I thought perhaps it would have a built-in Web-Interface running on Port 80 by default. Which it does seem to be doing. I'll try and help you out, but most of the info should be available in the manual.

You either need to:

- Change the Port to run on something other than 80... 8080 will do.
OR
- Disable Remote Access completely

These will be available in the Web Interface which you can access via your web-browser. How to do this will be detailed in the Manual and i'm sure the instructions will be pretty straight forward.

Contact me on ICQ if you have any problems.
Rayxen
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Issue has been resolved via IM.

1. Changed Apache to port 8080
2. Enabled NAT/NAPT
3. Enabled Firewall (otherwise NAPT was diabled by default)
4. Forwarded port 8080 to internal IP
5. Installed and configured DynDNS Client

All works now :)

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Networking All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: