• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

processor speeds

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Hardware // Upgrades

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gohån
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: processor speeds Reply with quote

could you tell me with is faster...

1) Intel Core Duo T2400 (1.83GHz)

2) Intel P4 2.66GHz

i know #1 is less speed but because it says duo, does that mean its 1.83Ghz x 2?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Gohån
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone know?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Groovicus
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean by faster? Faster for what? A dual core does not mean 1.83 * 2. It simple means that each cpu is 1.83 GH. So both processors are slower than a 2.66. The throughput speed is faster because both cores can be utilized to run an instruction set, so there is the potential for roughly a 25% improvement in performance. However, a huge majority of programs are single threaded, and thus can not utilize both processors. So in many instances, performance will be worse.

So the answer is, if an app and operating system are designed to be multithreaded, then there will be an improvement of performance through division of labor. But the processors are slower.

Last edited by Groovicus on Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gohån
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so if most programs run better with a single processor, the 2.66 would be better in terms of performance?

here is the current laptop: Fujitsu Siemens AMILO D 7830

this is the possible new one: toshiba l100 pro notebook

could you tell me if its worth getting this new one in terms of better performance?
Groovicus
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
so if most programs run better with a single processor, the 2.66 would be better in terms of performance?

Again, that depends. I don't know what you want to use it for, what OS you plan to run on it, etc. In terms of overall performance, the dual core may be better in that all the services and core applications can be split between the cpus. That will give some improvement in performance. It's just not going to be an earth shattering improvement.
John Drake
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This made me think. I have a P4 2.8GHz processor, and it has Hyper-Threading activated. Will this also make single threaded programs run slow? Should I just turn it off?
Groovicus
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best that I can tell, Hyper Threading allows for multithreading on a single CPU, thus if run on a dual core cpu, it should allow for 4 threads. I have no idea what benefit one may gain from running on a single core cpu. I am not sufficiently familiar with the technology, so I do not know if there is any benefit. If the description is correct, you should have a virtual CPU, and will thus be able to run two threads, which should be a benefit over a single core. I would be curious as to the actual clock speed of the processor. Does it split the clock cycles between the CPU's?

I think you would experience a slowdown in throughput without it on.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Hardware // Upgrades All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: