• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

cfdisk and multiple partitions

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> UNIX // GNU/Linux

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kleptos
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 9:40 pm    Post subject: cfdisk and multiple partitions Reply with quote

How do i create the labels? I can create all the partitions i just dont know how to create the labels. My other problem is if i create a /home, /var, /boot partition(s) how does the setup know to use that partition for the /home directory stuff, the /boot stuff, etc.... I am using Slackware 8.1 as my distro (which is my first un-bubblegum distro).
Thanks....
delete852
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dude u are from Florida, so am I. I live a little lower in hollywood.

For boot partition, it will ask you later how you want to boot. And it will offer choices such as LILO, GRUB, MBR, or a boot partition. Thats where you need to choose that you want to use the /boot partition to boot from.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
squidly
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: cfdisk and multiple partitions Reply with quote

kleptos wrote:
I can create all the partitions i just dont know how to create the labels. My other problem is if i create a /home, /var, /boot partition(s) how does the setup know to use that partition for the /home directory stuff, the /boot stuff, etc....

Well I have not used the Slak 8.1 setup program. I installed Slakware 8.0 and have just keep upgrading. But there is a place under the setup that you can tell it where the partisions are. If I rembemer correctly (this is going back about a year a go) just after you created the filesystems in the slak install program you can tell it where you want the partisions setup. And what exacly do you mean by labels? FreeBSD used disk labels to manage the partisions in a single large partisions (kind of like the Extended partisions and logical drives under dos)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ShaolinTiger
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh labels are a Windows only thing.

I think you are getting confused with mount points.

Normally somewhere in the installation it allows you to choose your partitions using disk druid or it's own package.

This is where you create the partitions and choose the mount points (/ /var /home etc)

I usually go for a big-un in /usr and /var and the rest in / with a 50MB /boot to save messing with the MBR.
kleptos
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got slackware to install correctly. I think my main problem was i was installing lilo on the wrong part of the harddrive. But now i can log into it succesfully.

The label part i was talking about is in cfdisk, i guess i was looking at some setup directions somewhere and was to create a partition with the label(s).

/boot
/home
/etc

I still havent dont that yet, and maybe thats if i create an extended partition i can create the labels as explained above?
kleptos
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Oh dude u are from Florida, so am I. I live a little lower in hollywood.

I'd rather be in a place where id drops below 40 but sun is good too.
Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> UNIX // GNU/Linux All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: