• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Radius Authentification

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Macintosh

View previous topic :: View next topic  
xcfx
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:06 am    Post subject: Radius Authentification Reply with quote

Hi,

In the University where I study there's wireless Internet for all the users that have a notebook...

When I was trying to log in to use the Internet and I noticed that weren't able to use I went to the Technical department and they said it wasn't possible to use my iBook on their network because it was "Windows only"

Obviously I wasn't buying that, I know it was crap and talking with some of the technicians there they said it wasn't possible to join the network because it needed to be authenticated via RADIUS and Mac didn't had that... so I wasn't buying that either, I know there have to be clients for the Mac platform, my question is do any of you guys know one?

Some VPN client that lets you authenticate with RADIUS?

The other option is to set my airport MAC address, but knowing that the network administrator there is kind of "pricky" I'd rather avoid that as much as I can...

Any help, will be greatly appreciated.
disp0sable
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your right, they are talking crap im afraid. They just dont want the hassle of a MAC Twisted Evil

What is the exact way they do things to connect to the uni network? do they use pppoe like alot of uni's ? and then a vpn connection?

Its prob the pppoe bit that they dont like, as its hard to set up on macs with osx 10.3 or above.

Your mac has a vpn client with pptp (that radius uses) built into it in the 'Internet Connect' section. You can use that most prob.

If they register your airport cards mac address to an IP that would get rid of teh need for pppoe, but then i dont know if they will want to do that or not.

hope i shed some light...
xcfx
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't fully know what's behind the network, I wish I did. I went today to the network administrator office to ask him about his network, how it works, etc, and see how of his technicians set up the wireless access to others people notebooks (running Windows) to have a clearer idea about what's going on...

I will come with something today in the noon, hopefully.

thanks,
cji
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's wireless, it's probably 802.1X with EAP and not PPPoE.

Does your school use Active Directory for managing logins? My school is setup this way, and so to connect to the wireless network from my powerbook I simply launched Internet Connect -> File -> New 802.1X connection, filled in the SSID, my AD username and password, selected Airport for Network Port and I was off. Give that a shot assuming you have the SSID and a username/pw that's on the RADIUS server.

I work in my school's computer resource center and do this configuration for people all the time on their thinkpads - it's funny how this "windows only" network is easier to setup in OS X (not that it's THAT hard in windows, but it is a few more steps, and less intuitive IMHO).

edit: wow, even though this was on the first page, this thread is OLD! Sorry about that, hope everything's fixed for you. Didn't pay attention to how slow the mac forum moves Rolling Eyes
xcfx
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks anyways, I actually tried that, and it logged on. The problem I find now is that I don't get an IP address - the DHCP server doesn't give me any.

I don't know why...

thanks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Macintosh All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: