• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

NTL in alleged Hack Probe!

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Exploits // System Weaknesses

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShaolinTiger
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 7:03 pm    Post subject: NTL in alleged Hack Probe! Reply with quote

NTL has launched an internal investigation following allegations that a Web site critical of the company was hacked by someone from within the cableco.

The alleged incident, which took place on New Year's Eve, resulted in subscribers of ntlhell.co.uk receiving an email containing the phrase "ntlhell.co.uk is shitntlhell.co.uk" repeated almost 300 times.

Following an investigation, those behind ntlhell.co.uk say they believe whoever compromised the site's security did so using a computer behind NTL's firewall.

One insider told The Register that the perpetrator was "very clumsy" and left a blatant 'trail' which leads back to NTL.

The matter was reported to NTL's abuse team on January 1 although the cableco has yet to respond officially. A spokeswoman for NTL confirmed that a complaint had been made and that the cableco "takes such allegations very seriously".

"NTL is carrying out a full investigation," she said. ®

Source: http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/55/28739.html
ComSec
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like someone else was bored the same night....more like the work of the nightwatch man ,pissed off he missed the new year bash Laughing
squidly
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well one of the things I always do when I'm looking at security and a compromise is first the people inside (as they already have access to the internal network). I mean come on.. Crunchy outside, soft chewie center Smile always the best targets.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Jason
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

squidly wrote:
I mean come on.. Crunchy outside, soft chewie center Smile always the best targets.

Like the Meta4.

Im with NTL, so im gonna do a bit of digging see if i can get anymore details on it. A small works of social engineering to the "Outlook is too complicate" support line shoud do the trick.

(nothing personal against NTL support, but as i work for an ISP also, i understand the sort of calls that come in Smile )

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Exploits // System Weaknesses All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: