• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Just Curious

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Comments // Problems etc.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
capi
SF Senior Mod
SF Senior Mod

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed there does seem to be a problem. I have experienced the same today, and there have been reports of other users having the same problem as well.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. The problem shall be relayed to the administration, hopefully it will be solved quickly.
capi
SF Senior Mod
SF Senior Mod

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here's an update.

It seems our server was under a DDoS attack for the better part of Friday and Saturday. Our hosting took the necessary measures to counteract the problem, but of course some issues did still arise.

We are expecting the problem to be solved by now, thank you for your input.
papercut
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: log in problems Reply with quote

Same thing here,got a few error messages while trying to hit this site but starting saturday I had problems getting on to any php hosted site. I put it down to "Santy" untill I noticed others having problems logging in or getting timed out.
I think Zone alarm had something to do with it. I had to allow third party cookies and private headers to get on any php site or would get weird error messages.
I didnt change any settings and all security scans showed my box was clean.I can replicate this error by unchecking those two options in zone every time.

Could Santy be causing Ddos attacks on all php sites?
ShaolinTiger
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partially Santy and it's variants plus we quite often get DDoSed anyway being a 'security' site.

Our host is using an anti-DoS device now in front of the box, the problems people were having was due to this device dealing with the attack, it was dropping some of your SYN packets as attack packets when you tried to connect to the site along with those from the 'real' attack. So the site was up, just that at times it was hard to establish the full 3-way handshake.

There are some good papers here about DDoS mitigation strategies:

http://www.honeypots.net/incidents/ddos-mitigation

It's not something you can prevent, fix or stop...but you minimise the damage and mitigate against the downtime it can cause.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Comments // Problems etc. All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: