• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

is Linux immune to Viruses/Trojans/Worms and breaches?

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> UNIX // GNU/Linux

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stilewag
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: is Linux immune to Viruses/Trojans/Worms and breaches? Reply with quote

I am a simple surfer. I view websites, I chat on IRC/Yahoo/Hotmail, and I download files.

I am considering migrating from Windows ME (ZoneAlarm 5.x latest + Kaspersky Personal Pro 5.0 always updated) to Linux (Redhat 9 or Fedora Core 3, and always with latest Kernel) in order to be more secure while online.

After properly configuring the IPTABLES, and creating a user profile other than ROOT (with reduced access), will I be immune to viruses/trojans/worms and firewall attacks? Or at least, will I be as protected as I am in Windows ME?
Predator
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are rootkits for Linux. You will only be as secure if you secure your box, or unplug your ethernet connection.
But, you could use the Firewall that comes with RH or FC. The next thing would be to remove services that are not needed. Use strong passwords. If you want, try out ClamAV for a virus solution on the linux box. Definately a better choice than Windows ME. IMO.
weicui
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nothing is secure, many people using linux, any kind have been attacked, the point is to secure with firewall etc. and update alot. also, good passwords as above mentioned with caps lower case and numbers is best, some brute forcers dont guess simbols such as *#$@!%, these would b good also Rolling Eyes
capi
SF Senior Mod
SF Senior Mod

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While it is true that GNU/Linux or other Unix-like systems are not 100% immune to security breaches, and that your computer is only as secure as you make it, the fact is that with GNU/Linux you have a lot more possibilities to secure it than with Windows - especially Windows ME, get rid of that! Laughing

Just the fact that you are using a non-privileged user for day to day use is a major security enhancement when compared to normal Windows usage (where you are administrator by default, and in Windows9x/ME it's even worse as everyone is an administrator, period).

Put in some sane firewall rules (use iptables or perhaps something like Shorewall if you prefer a friendlier front-end), use a non-privileged user for day to day tasks, keep up with general security patches, and you'll be just fine. In any case, security-wise (and not only), pretty much anything is a step up from Windows ME... Wink
Rowdy Yates
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool like Shoreline. i haven't seen it before. very useful.
elleqq
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am considering migrating from Windows ME (ZoneAlarm 5.x latest + Kaspersky Personal Pro 5.0 always updated) to Linux (Redhat 9 or Fedora Core 3, and always with latest Kernel) in order to be more secure while online.

One matter to keep in mind - Red Hat 9's unsupported now... - you'd be better off with Fedora Core 3 for which you can get "security updates" - you can keep your system updated with:

# yum update

Also, regards iptables front-ends you might want to take a look at Firestarter.

http://www.fs-security.com/
Zarnick
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question...as far as I know, there is not a virus for Linux/UNIX, is this still true?

Thx a lot.
Predator
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"There are about 60,000 viruses known for Windows, 40 or so for the Macintosh, about 5 for commercial Unix versions, and perhaps 40 for Linux. Most of the Windows viruses are not important, but many hundreds have caused widespread damage. Two or three of the Macintosh viruses were widespread enough to be of importance. None of the Unix or Linux viruses became widespread - most were confined to the laboratory."

Source: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/10/06/linux_vs_windows_viruses/

There are also worms for Linux. ie Santy that hit around Christmas time.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> UNIX // GNU/Linux All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: