• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

new forum suggestion

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Comments // Problems etc.

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PDA Security and Networking Forum
Cool idea
70%
 70%  [ 46 ]
Not so cool
29%
 29%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 65

ryansutton
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:44 am    Post subject: new forum suggestion Reply with quote

What does everyone think about adding a section relating to PDA's? I think PDA security and networking is growing and would add an interesting element to SFDC. I would be interested in learning what tools others use on the Palm OS and Pocket PC in regards to OS tweaks & network tools. I thought a poll might be appropriate to see if others would be interested as well.
PhiBer
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps Cellphone/PDA security would be more appropriate considering the amount of hype the antivirus companies have created surrounding bluetooth vulnerabilities and virus propagation within certain cell phones. Although I do not see security in this area as critical at the moment, the PDA cellphone will eventually progress in functionality and have better connectivity to the internet, in turn triggering more advanced attacks.

Last edited by PhiBer on Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:59 am; edited 1 time in total
gr33ndata
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am with the Cell/PDA idea too. I think with mobiles going more into being a sophesticated devices (Java applications and so) as well as increase of connectivity (bluetooth, wifi, etc) there may be more attacks targeting that field.
mattyp
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with the PDA/ Cell idea.
mekros
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mobile Devices perhaps Smile
neewt
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, a section about PDA and Smart phone security would be great. I'm actually writing my thesis about the subject (storing classified information on a mobile device).
JustinT
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:39 pm    Post subject: Good idea. Reply with quote

I find it to be an excellent proposal, using cryptography as one example; consider the cryptographic specifications for GSM, and its respective cryptanalyses by Barkhan, Biham, and Keller, Biryukov, Shamir, and Wagner, and Goldberg and Wagner, as well as ECSD, and GPRS. The strong implications that cryptography is important, further echoes the importance for security, as a whole, when it comes to issues that need the utmost addressing.

To be more specific, though, I believe I like the idea for a section on "mobile devices", as previously mentioned; it's general enough to include a plethora of various mobile applications of security. As mobility is almost, in a sense, a prerequisite to living efficiently, the care for its security should be in much higher demand. Anything, including a new forum, to discuss potential advancements in mobile security, is welcome, in my book.
tekmozen
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: New Forum Suggestion Reply with quote

A good idea, something for mobile security would be welcome.

I'm currently studying for my MSc in IT Security and am doing my project on infosec awareness, one of the areas I'm thinking looking further into is exactly this.

Hopefully I can contribute in someway.

Tekmozen
MaverickMathematician
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On this topic I remember bein told that 'Blujacking' (this is the hacking into of bluetooth enabled phones) is also on the increase without any real defense. It does require some averagely serious software but it is not that hard.

Regards,

M
Bungle
Most Paranoid Member!
Most Paranoid Member!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Very Happy

I think it’s a great idea. I was just about to post a similar topic but I found this with a search. I was going to mainly go with mobile phone security. Voice encryption and SMS encryption probably on Symbian systems.

I think mobile phones could sustain their own topic but I would go with mobile devices in general if everyone wants to thin the topic out a bit.

I have found these programs for series 60 phones,

Mumsms - for encrypting received SMS messages.

Handysafe - for storing private info on your phones memory card.

HandyPhotoSafe - I think you can work out what this one does !

Fortress SMS - is a SMS encryption program. I am really looking forward to trying this myself. Unlike Mumsms Fortress encrypts your text messages before transmission.

Has anyone here tried Fortress SMS ? If so could you PM me (so we don’t go off topic) and tell me what you think of it please.

Thanks,

Bungle.

PS.
Please, everyone at PGP make some mobile phone software…..please ! Crying or Very sad
Tom Bair
SF Boss
SF Boss

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We thank everyone for your suggestions, input, and votes.

We are now actively discussing this issue among the staff...

will report the outcome of our decision in a few days.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Comments // Problems etc. All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: