• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

AMD or Pentium?

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Beginners // Misc. Computer Questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
joey1522
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:38 pm    Post subject: AMD or Pentium? Reply with quote

Can any body tell me the pros/cons between the two, i have also seen amd describe their processors as 3000+ for example then rate them lower in real ghz why is this?

cheers
Kaosu
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modern CPUs are not really being measured just in clock speeds anymore, I think. There are a few things to look for when choosing a processor that best fits your needs. Clock speed is obviously a small factor, however, cache sizes are playing a big role.

The AMD64 series are superior to the Intel P4 series I believe. For instance my 3500+ has an on-board memory controller chip which can take advantage of dual channel memory to gain an increase in smooth processing since it can process the data a little faster.

I would personally say go with an AMD64 series, but everyone has their own opinion(s) on the subject and I am sure they will be expressed in this thread.

I am not attempting to say "AMD IS BETTER THAN INTEL", because that is nothing more than a modern cliche, but I am an AMD fan.
StarFractal
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTI0 is a really nice comparison between latest AMD Athalon 64 and Pentium 4 Extreme CPUs. It contains in depth information on both, and includes benchmarks comparing a number of different properties like audio and video playback.
Mikefc626
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't the whole deal about the XP's being rated at something like 3000+ kinda like they were saying, "This chip will compare to an Intel 3.0 gHz" ? That's what I heard one time a long time ago when they first came out. I kinda wish they hadn't done that though because I've seen so many people complain that they didn't get what they were expecting (a 3.0 gHz for a 3000+ chip). I just think "You should've done your research" when I see something like that... I didn't get too hung up on it since it is simply a marketing ploy to differentiate them from the competition.
Duckman
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to give AMD another vote, Athlon 64 is far better that P4.
joey1522
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"You should've done your research"

I have done some research but there are so many cpu's about. I wanted to get some input from REAL people not from any biased websites that may sell Pentiums or AMD.

I am not complaing at all just wanted some geniune input.

Thanks for replies.
Bungle
Most Paranoid Member!
Most Paranoid Member!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi joey1522 Very Happy

Quote:

"You should've done your research"

I have done some research but there are so many cpu's about. I wanted to get some input from REAL people not from any biased websites that may sell Pentiums or AMD.

I am not complaing at all just wanted some geniune input.

I think you have misunderstood Mikefc626, he wasn’t referring to you when he said “You should've done your research” I think he was referring to the people who bought a 3000+ chip and were expecting a 3 GHz processor.

By the way I vote AMD ! Laughing

Bungle. Wink
comrade
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMD64.
joey1522
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, please accept my apologies Mikefc626
SuSpEcT
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote AMD as well, 64 or XP, they are superb chips for their prices and you can get some great motherboards to support them.

Smile
SideSwipe
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently im using an oldish amd duron chip. i believe that in all of my computers to date i have never had an intel chip, partly because of the cost at the time, and partly because i got better deals with other manufacturers, most of who have gone bust or stopped making processors now.
Mikefc626
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bungle is correct, but I didn't really take offense to what you said; I was just givin you a heads up about the situation so that you didn't feel ripped off when you bought something. Anyway, I've always preferred AMD because I'm generally broke, and I don't do any video editing or anything heavy like that so I don't need the p4 hyper-threading stuff. And games like doom3 still run just fine on my xp2500 -- just make sure that you get some very good memory (and enough of it) so that the bulk of the load doesn't rest entirely on your cpu. Think somewhere along the lines of $200-300.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=20-144-161&DEPA=0
boz4life
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMD64
RoboGeek
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wierd. For my customers I try to go Intel, but for me I prefer AMD.
btw.. I have had several problems with hyperthreading turned on in the BIOS, so I normally turn it off. Meaning I basically set up a crippled PC. But its more stable and thats what my customers prefer.

I wonder if a better debate wouldn't be what CPU/chipset combo is best? After all.. a CPU is just a paperweight without the stuff that makes it work. A good CPU on a crappy board makes a crappy PC. And visa-versa
squidly
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoboGeek wrote:
I'm wierd. For my customers I try to go Intel, but for me I prefer AMD.
btw.. I have had several problems with hyperthreading turned on in the BIOS, so I normally turn it off. Meaning I basically set up a crippled PC. But its more stable and thats what my customers prefer.

I wonder if a better debate wouldn't be what CPU/chipset combo is best? After all.. a CPU is just a paperweight without the stuff that makes it work. A good CPU on a crappy board makes a crappy PC. And visa-versa

Well are most of your customer computer savy? I have seen a lot of people go for Intel only because its more advertised then the AMD or PPC chips.

I think the CPU/chipset would be a better debait because the chipset is what really affects the performance of the CPU, a bad chipset can really cause problems with what the cpu can do.

IMHO and from the benchmarks I have seen AMD processors do perform better under most situations then the Intel chip. The only drawback from the AMD chips are the fact that they run a bit warmer, meaning you have to spend a bit more money on a better heatsink.

HTH squidly
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
RoboGeek
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My customers know nothing.. which is good I guess.
For instance I have one that keeps getting a BSOD and he thinks its me playing a game with him.
He has a network of $399 Dell PC's and can't figure out why they all keep crashing.

Now I don't mind Celeron CPU's but I do mind 70 watt power supplies..
Run a DVD burner and get a BSOD.. hmmm..

And I will say the cheap Dell PC's are killing me in support calls. I do Dell warranty calls at a lousy $45 per call. Thats usually $45 for an hour drive and 3 trips while they guess at what parts to replace. My normal rates are $60/hr. They won't listen to a tech telling them what is wrong. They go by their little Dell checklist translated from english to indian.
Nothing against indian techs.. they made the americans do the same thing before they outsourced tech support

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Beginners // Misc. Computer Questions All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: