• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

programming language choice

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Programming and More

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The rex
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: programming language choice Reply with quote

hello all...

just wanted to get views on the 2 programming languages : Delphi and C++

presently a computer science student ... which languge is more on demand for usage in the development world?

which would u recommend a student like myself learn... which one will be more benificial in the job market?

but which one is easier to master?
White Scorpion
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never used delphi personally, but from what i know of it it is quite often asked in the jobfield. C/C++ on the other hand is the most used language around since it is powerful for lowlevel-programming. Windows is written for 90% in C, 8% in C++ and 2% in assembly (give or take a few percents).
*nix versions are also written in C/C++.

C/C++ can be used to write programs such as button creators etc but it is far easier to use a language like delphi or visual basic for these types of programs. If you are going to write programs which need to access specific system resources then C/C++ is more commonly used.

I'm not saying that one is better then the other, they both have their advantages / disadvantages. I think you could better learn a (big) piece of both of them and then decide which one you like most and which one you are going to improve your skills in. Even better would be to learn both since both are asked a lot in the jobfield but you have to decide which one you want.
Even if a thousand people here give there opinion on a specific language, it will still be their opinion and you might not agree with them once you learned the language. So learn both and decide then which one you like better....

Just my 2 cents Wink

ps, one BIG advantage from C/C++ is that it is portable to other platforms. As far as i know delphi is only usable on a Windows platform...
ev0ltn
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C is a great language for learning how the computer works. Memory, exploits.. It's a beauty. If You just plan on making applications (say text editors or such) I'd say You start learning Delphi. But if You want some advanced stuff, go C. That's real programming. It really let's You feel You have control.
Aramis
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi there,

In my view, this kind of question is pointless, no offence.
I did my whole 4th year project in Delphi and I loved it ( I still do). But towards the end (and even more so during my placement at Nestle), I had the impression that something was missing.
Fair enough I could put an application together quite easily but as it grows bigger and bigger I felt the lack of planning ability and some Object Oriented Programming principals were not understood at all (constructor and destructor for example... when you manage to write DLLs without understand ing that it becomes dangerous).

So what is my message. It is simple: make sure you DO MASTER the principles!!! it is all that matters. If you do master what Objects are and how they work, are implemented and so on. It will not matter if you use Java, C++/C# or Delphi.

And yeah, C gives you control but it is not Object Oriented.

That is all,

I hope that helps Mr. Green

Ar@mi$
capi
SF Senior Mod
SF Senior Mod

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aramis wrote:
And yeah, C gives you control but it is not Object Oriented.

Both are points in favor of C if you ask me... Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Programming and More All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: