• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

web bots

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Programming and More

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eviltwin
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:59 am    Post subject: web bots Reply with quote

Ok... So here's the deal... I'm building a page for a company and it implicates the ability to register like in forums. To ptrotect against mass registers I want to implement one of those image thingys. So far so good... but how do I know it's reliable? By testing the best software on it....

So... What I want is to get my hands on the best bots capable of filling forms and registering in foruns, enen those protected by images.

My main problem is that I want to use clear images (The new images on MSN for example are VERY hard for any human to understand and that is VERY VERY VERY annoying for any user) but still I don't want the bots to get through... the worst part is that some of them can be taught to go through these protection...

Any ideas?

I'd especially like to know where to find the best bots. Once you get to know your enemy things become easier...
Source code would be a plus, but it's not a requirement.
mmkhan
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mate,
i exactly donot know about web bots but the image thing u asked is known as captcha. The link http://www.captcha.net/captchas/ will help u a bit.

Thanks
eviltwin
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks! already had found some and I'm already workin on one.. working quite well... But I need the damn bots to test them or I'll only know when it gets online.. that would mean my ass on the line :p
skiddieleet
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to the images to protect against the bots, you may want to add email verification. Most people verify by email minutes after they register. I would give it 2-5 days, and if they don't verify just delete the account. Probably better to find a sure way to stop the accounts from even being made as you are trying to do, but this may be something extra. Also, you could limit it to one account per ip, and that may be even another layer of protection. Hope you find a solution soon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
eviltwin
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One account per IP is a terrible solution... Here at home we are 3 ppl sharing an IP and we each have our accounts in diffent places. Limiting a consumer like that is not something I would want to do... Only IPv6 will make that possible... Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Programming and More All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: