• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

DoD offering admin privileges on .mil Web sites

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Exploits // System Weaknesses

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ComSec
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 4:56 pm    Post subject: DoD offering admin privileges on .mil Web sites Reply with quote

Care to register a .mil Web site of your own for free? The DoD has gone out of its way to make it a snap. An unbelievably badly-protected admin interface welcomes you to register whatever domain you please (http://Rotten.mil anyone?), or edit anything they've already got. The interface is so ludicrously unprotected that it's been cached by Google and fails to mention that you must be authorized to muck about with it. Incredibly, default passwords are cheerfully provided on the page.

Following an anonymous tip from an observant Reg reader, we've encountered the page in question in the Google cache, and after a bit of our own poking about have also discovered an equally unprotected (and Google-cached) admin interface encouraging us to add a new user, like ourselves, say, which requires no authentication. All you have to do is find that page and you can set yourself up with a user account, manage your new .mil Web site, fiddle about with other people's .mil Web sites, and generally make an incredible nuisance of yourself. We are, of course, straining against every natural, journalistic impulse in our beings by neglecting to mention any useful search strings with which to find it....continued...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/55/29026.html
flw
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
fails to mention that you must be authorized to muck about with it

Well if it mentioned it or not, its not a good idea to learn on a .gov or mil ever. Could wake up one day with 10 guys up you butt from .gov
myhatisred
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some stupid script kiddy will attempt it and we'll all learn from their mistakes.
ComSec
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems like some trap, to me and others

i would just read the article.....and DONT mess around with .mil

big brother is sure to watching all movements and attempts, due to current Iraq espisode and also other terrorist linked org's
EricTheBald
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a sound policy for anyone to adopt is to NOT f*ck around with guys who have real guns and real bullets, and enjoy using them.

Just a thought...
squidly
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EricTheBald wrote:
I think a sound policy for anyone to adopt is to NOT f*ck around with guys who have real guns and real bullets, and enjoy using them.

Just a thought...

Actually the only thing the military likes to shoot is paper targets. Do you really think they want to go to war and risk death? Hell no. Any military man will tell you that. (I should know I was one of them). They wont pull any punches then they do become engaged. Heck the in NAM they had to fight with 1.5 hands tied behind there back, and most say never again.
I would rather find a peacefull solution but with IRAQ he has had 13 years to find a peacefull solution.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
flw
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Actually the only thing the military likes to shoot is paper targets. Do you really think they want to go to war and risk death? Hell no. Any military man will tell you that. (I should know I was one of them). They wont pull any punches then they do become engaged. Heck the in NAM they had to fight with 1.5 hands tied behind there back, and most say never again.

This is off topic but I do agree that no one I ever knew wanted to go killing anyone, but also wouldn't hesitate in killing anyone in a battle. It's a mind set , your mind changes gears to kill or risk being killed. Easy decision at that point.

Quote:
I would rather find a peacefull solution but with IRAQ he has had 13 years to find a peacefull solution.

I and I think most reasonable people would agree on prefering a peacefull resolution. It's just that some that also think that it won't ever happen so that leaves two options. War or leave Iraq alone. Neither option seems good. I also don't see a few more weeks or months more for the inspectors is going to give Iraq any more advantages than they currently have right now. I'd rather be damm well sure.
myhatisred
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is no peacefull solution with people like Saddam. If you want to look back in history: lets take Russia for instance. When they had their dictators, of which Stalin was by far the worst. No one could come to peace with him, the guy shot his own wife, and killed more of this own people than the combined casualties of WW2. I don't believe that there is such a thing as peace talks with dictators.
flw
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's alot easier to get into a fight at the local bar than get out once the first punch hits its target. Too late for new info.

I would site the cold war as a example with casualties but relatively few because it never became hot. The war was won due to economics and time. I'd rather wait 45 years and have no war than think there was a chance for peace with 10 or 100's of thousand of dead people due to my haste.

Korea may be the same or the exception. Without direct political force from China it's going to get nasty. With Korea's million man army, a few nukes of there own, only one type of war that can be fought there. They continue to defy logic. Maybe it's just the same type of political/social thought that Japan had with the U.S. during/prior to WWII.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Exploits // System Weaknesses All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: