• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

linking computers............well not really

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Beginners // Misc. Computer Questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
phunkdified
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:34 am    Post subject: linking computers............well not really Reply with quote

i want to link up my computers tower to my room-mates computer system, can i do it?

i asked an IT guy at work and he told me to set up a network through a router, however due to serious space constraints i need to hook up my tower to the existing system, still use the keyboard and mouse and everything from my room-mates system. can i have my tower act as an external drive to the existing system?
SimpleJohn
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: two solutions... Reply with quote

Hey phunkdified

in both solutions you need to hook all computers in a small network, using a basic touter.
after doing so you can choose 2 options :

The first one is to do the exactly as you IT friend told you, plus installing a remote program on your tower so you can control it from your mates computer.

The second is to define some hard drives in the tower as network drives, and then access them from your mates computer.

Good luck

John
AdamV
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually it sounds to me like a better idea would be using a Keyboard, Video, Mouse (KVM) switch so you can simply use the monitor, keyboard etc from either machine.
This will not connect them together as such, and will not allow you to share files or anything. If you need to do that then a crossover cable (and ethernet cards if not already built in) is the easiest option. Networking them in any way would not enable you to run programs installed on machine A on machine B, only share files, so I don't think this is what you intend.

Costs vary depending what you need, I just bought a new Belkin one which has PS/2 and USB inputs for four machines, plus audio (so you only need one set of speakers too, and it automatically plays from the active machine). You could get a two-computer switch for PS/2 and audio with built-in cables for around 40 quid, probably translates to about $50 US (lower sales tax, cheaper IT goods generally, so not an exchange rate equivalent).

Make sure whatever you get has the right connections for the keyboard and mouse, most have no choices just both PS/2 or both USB. At the cheap / small end of the market you may find they are all PS/2 or all USB (in other words inputs and outputs all the same). Also check the monitor conneciton is a 15pin DSub "VGA" connector or a newer digital DVI type, again most have only one (although you can normally use an adaptor).

(SimpleJohn - if you accidentally double post (as we all do occasionally in our eagerness!) you should be able to delete your last post rather than just editing it. Just for future reference)
<edit> I take it back, this functionality changed again, the delete button has gone. hmmm...

Last edited by AdamV on Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Beginners // Misc. Computer Questions All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: