• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Portable firefox School Network

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Networking

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Digi
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:20 am    Post subject: Portable firefox School Network Reply with quote

http://johnhaller.com/jh/mozilla/portable_firefox/

Hi,
Our School computers are full of spyware and their making internet explorer not work sometimes. But the network admin is too busy to anything about it.
I took to school my Flash Drive with FireFox Portable on it to school it worked fine but when I tried to open up a page such as google it could not sense the network connection. I talked to my network admin why it did not work he said that on the server he's got a firewall blocking all other programs trying to acess the net besides internet explorer. Is there a way to either make the Make the server think I'm using internet explorer, or could you suggest to me a portable internet explorer?
Bannerd
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I belive the network admin is wrong. Internet Explorerer uses port 80 to access the web. Firefox uses port 80 as well. What this means is that a browser will be trying to grab information from the web using port 80. I feel that there might be somthing to do with firefox actually seeing the network connection.

Go to tools, Options, Gernal panel, connection settings. See if you can automatically detect a proxy server.

If not then, go to Tools, Options, General and make sure that firefox is checked as your default browser. Then Tell it to check now. Go to start run and type google.com and see if firefox comes up.

Still doesn't work try this in the mozilla address bar

http://google.com:80

If that doesn't work

open the java console and see if the webbrowser is even getting out

<script>
var blnSiteUp = true;
setTimeout("if(blnSiteUp) doRedirect();", 1000);
</script>
<192.168.0.1> or local ip address.
Digi
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject: ghfg Reply with quote

Would my network have a Proxy Config URL? Is it common to have that on a big network?
Bannerd
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may have, scan the network and look for a proxy server. If the computers are so trashed, perhaps help the admin out, but first talk to him. Make some extra money and gain alittle knowledge if ya know what I mean Wink
Digi
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: ty Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. I work will him a lot and I'm very savvy with computers. To your advice on him paying me well he is a teacher also so he is not going to be paying me his payment to me is he letting me have periods off to work with him. I'm going to apply for a Job at the local PC shop next year.
AdamV
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it has a proxy server which allows traffic through based on user credentials then Firefox won't be able to pass this information through from the windows logon in the same way that IE does.
However, I would expect that to generate a prompt for a valid username and password, but may be that could be suppressed so if it cannot identify you, tough cookies. So you might be able to ask for this to be eased up so if it does not get valid credentials passed, it will prompt for them.
TCM
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My High school and my college only let users access the external network through a proxy. If you can't access the internet options to check the proxy settings then you can write a simple php script to grab your IP or go to a website like www.whatismyip.com , if you see the same IP from multiple computers you guys use a proxy. As long as you don't have to authenticate to have access to the proxy you'll be fine.
abyssling
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefox, Mozilla, and friends CAN now do integrated NTLM Authentication. You need to set the following 4 preferences:

network.automatic-ntlm-auth.allow-proxies true

network.automatic-ntlm-auth.trusted-uris proxy1 (where proxy1 = the name of your proxy), proxy2, domain FQDN, etc

network.negotiate-auth.trusted-uris proxy1, proxy2, domain FQDN, etc

network.negotiate-auth.delegation-uris proxy1, proxy2, domain FQDN, etc

Here is how:
1. Type about:config in URL bar
2. In search bar type any part of the item you are looking for (ntlm or Negotiate)
3. Click on the item you want to change. (Or double click if it is a boolean, to change it)
4. Change the value in the pop up.
5. Click OK
6. Presto!
AdamV
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TCM wrote:
write a simple php script to grab your IP or go to a website like www.whatismyip.com , if you see the same IP from multiple computers you guys use a proxy. As long as you don't have to authenticate to have access to the proxy you'll be fine.

That would be true of a NATting router as well, so not necessarily a proxy / web filter type device

Abyssling - brilliant news. Trying this now - should this also let me connect to an internal IIS server (I'm not running a proxy here, but I do get fed up logging into my offline copy of my asp based website)

<edit>
It's great!
I just use the FQDN of my IIS server in the three string fields and it's all hunky-dory!
Thanks loads to abyssling!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Networking All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: