• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Wireless NIC install

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> UNIX // GNU/Linux

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EOS
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 2:29 am    Post subject: Wireless NIC install Reply with quote

Hello all...... I'm trying to learn Linux so I can utilize some security tools that run on it. I am using a Live CD (auditor-200605-02-ipw2100.iso) that I downloaded from http://new.remote-exploit.org/index.php/Auditor_mirrors . I am running into problems getting my Wireless NIC to load. The NIC is a Gigafast WF721-AEX. I downloaded the driver from http://www.gigafast.com/products/product_drivers/WF721-AEX_drivers.htm and that is where I'm stuck. I have all the driver files on a floppy and I'm able to access the files, but I don't know how to go about installing them. I tried the tech support for the NIC and they say they only provide the Linux driver, and do not support Linux...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
njan
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there!

Linux drivers are a slightly different animal to windows drivers, as the majority of drivers in linux are either included as part of the operating system kernel or are from separate projects bundled by distributors - it is not the normal practice for users of linux to install drivers bundled by the vendor of hardware (as it is in windows) except for rare cases (usually enterprise hardware such as RAID cards).

Unfortunately, the card which you have, from a cursory google, appears not to have good linux support - based on the wlan-ng list of cards, there appear to be three different versions of your card, each with a different chipset - your card could be a prism card (in which case you're in luck), a TI chipset (in which case you're very much out of luck), or an atmel chipset (in which case your luck is sort of neutral).

If you give us the serial number of the card and the FCC Identifier, we can try and help you track down exactly what drivers you'll need (or which distributions of linux and kernel variants have support) for your card - it would also be helpful if you could paste us the output from the 'lspci' and 'cardctl ident' commands, run off the linux livecd.

On another note, you'll also find that even if there are drivers which require special installation (which is rare), you won't be able to do this easily from a livecd, since many of the components of the system which are required to be modified cannot be modified easily running off a livecd (as they're held in memory read-only).

Sorry we can't be slightly more useful; hopefully you have the prism card and we can guide you through making the card function in linux; failing this, your only option may be installing linux and trying to get atmel drivers (or possibly TI drivers, if the virtually non-existant support has ameliorated since last time I tried to make one of their cards work) working using this.

Hope this is useful! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
EOS
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply! Here is the info you requested:
FCC: PANWL1102
S/N: R40600805
lspci: 0000:01:00.0 Ethernet Controller: Realtek RTL8180L 802.11b MAC (rev20)
cardctl ident: both socket 0 and socket 1 say No Product Info Available

I'm curious how to go about finding the chipset of this card?

Thanks again for helping!
zeedo
SF Reviewer
SF Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chipset = RTL8180L

Which is apparently supported by ndiswrapper.
http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/index.php/List

If you install a Linux distro you should be able to get this set up under ndiswrapper. Probably have trouble finding a LiveCD with ndiswrapper on it, although I have never tried to use it on a LiveCD.

If you pick a distro of Linux and get it installed we can help you with ndiswrapper, (Ubuntu is a distro worth looking at.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
EOS
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good. I'll try to get myself a distro and install it.
Thanks!
jkpq45
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I have the exact same problem. I have ndiswrapper from the link you provided, zeedo--what do I do with the "rtl8180.sys" file now?

EDIT: PS--I have a full version of Ubuntu installed on the laptop I'm working with.

Thanks,
jkpq45

(w00t new friends in new forums!)
zeedo
SF Reviewer
SF Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open up a command prompt and run the following commands (the commands are in bold), entering your user password when prompted:

sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper-utils # install ndiswrapper utilities

sudo ndiswraper -i The_INF_File_That_Came_With_The_Driver.INF # install the driver in ndiswrapper

sudo modprobe ndiswrapper # load the ndiswrapper module

sudo bash -c 'echo ndiswrapper >> /etc/modules' # make sure the module loads on reboot

Once you have done this you can configure your wireless card normally by using iwconfig or the networking GUI utility.

If you have any trouble let me know.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jkpq45
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zeedo wrote:

If you have any trouble let me know.

I navigated to the folder where I unzipped the file I received here: http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/ndiswrapper/ndiswrapper-1.4rc4.tar.gz?use_mirror=easynews
but had no luck in finding a file "ndiswrapper-utils". It says it can't find the proper package to install.

Any ideas?
-jkpq45
zeedo
SF Reviewer
SF Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have to download anything yourself, the apt-get command will download and install the ndiswrapper-utils.
jkpq45
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely--but I don't have an internet connection. That's why I'm trying to install this wireless NIC. Can I download it on my other box (WinXP) then transfer the necessary files onto the laptop via pendrive?

-jkpq45
digen
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zeedo wrote:

Sorry for barging into this thread like but I too am a newbie with linux starting out.I've a Linksys WPC54GU2 PCMCIA 802.11g wireless card which isnt getting recognised in redhat 9 which I've installed on my laptop.

Zeedo,when I give that apt-get command at the terminal I get this.

Code:
[root@swapneel digen]# sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper-utils
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
E: Couldn't find package ndiswrapper-utils

Am I missing something here? Rolling Eyes
jkpq45
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly the same output I get--I assume it's because I have no other existing internet connection.

Thanks,
jkpq45
digen
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkpq45 wrote:
That's exactly the same output I get--I assume it's because I have no other existing internet connection.

Thanks,
jkpq45

Naa thats not the case.I've hard-wired my laptop to the Linksys WRT54G wireless router.I've internet access because of it so I dont see it as the issue here.Anyways we should just wait for either zeedo or someone else to post regarding this issue.Till then I'll see whether I can find something similar.
gat0r
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i may be wrong here, but apt-get i thought was just for debian. but in case its not, you may be just asking for the wrong name of the file.

do an apt-cache search to see if you can find the package

apt-cache search ndiswrapper-utils

here is a link to check out:

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-package.en.html

if all that fails you make to install from source, but like someone said that might be hard to do with a liveCD.

for the redhat 9 guy, maybe it comes in a rpm?

good luck
zeedo
SF Reviewer
SF Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gat0r wrote:
well i may be wrong here, but apt-get i thought was just for debian. but in case its not, you may be just asking for the wrong name of the file.

Yeh you were wrong. Apt is used in Ubuntu since it is a Debian based distribution. The file (package) name was correct also since I was sure to check it before posting the commands to use. The problem is likely that the users repository list doesn't contain a source of ndiswrapper-utils, this can be because of a few reasons, which we will address. If you don't know the system in question please try not to give advice on it as it just confuses the issue.

gat0r wrote:

if all that fails you make to install from source, but like someone said that might be hard to do with a liveCD.

We are now discussing a full installation, not a LiveCD - installing anything on a running LiveCD is futile as it won't persist after reboot unless the LiveCD stores the alterations on the machines harddisk (Ubuntu doesn't) also since the Ubntu LiveCD doesn't mount the necessary directories onto a ramdisk the installation would fail anyway. We really don't want someone just trying out Linux repackaging a LiveCD and reconfiguring it's ramdisk mounting.

Either way you don't really want to install from source on Ubuntu if there is an adequate package available, especially in this case where ndiswrapper is compiled by and officially supported by Ubuntu under their standard support offering.

digen wrote:

Anyways we should just wait for either zeedo or someone else to post regarding this issue.Till then I'll see whether I can find something similar.

Please show me the contents of your /etc/apt/sources.list so I can determine which repositories you are using, as this could be the source of your problem.

Last edited by zeedo on Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:00 am; edited 2 times in total
njan
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gat0r wrote:

Additionally, digen wouldn't have had the following error:

Code:

[root-at-swapneel digen]# sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper-utils
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
E: Couldn't find package ndiswrapper-utils

were he not to have had apt-get installed - this is clearly a reply from apt-get, rather than a 'command not found' error, which would have looked something like this:

Code:

james@horus ~ $ apt-get install vim
bash: apt-get: command not found
james@horus ~ $

Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> UNIX // GNU/Linux All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: