• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

installing two firwalls

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Beginners // Misc. Computer Questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mido
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: installing two firwalls Reply with quote

Hello all , is there a problem if i install two firewalls , for example , macafee personal firewall Plus and zone alarm pro , and tell me if there's a better one then them , thank you
zeedo
SF Reviewer
SF Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You shouldn't need to install two firewalls on one machine and if you do you will have incompatibility problems.

If you are looking for alternative firewalls search this forum as there have been a few threads discussing this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PaulieBoy
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my XP pro laptop I have had running for over a year both Blackice and Sygate firewall's without a hitch !

They get on with each other very well indeed Smile

I can not comment on other combination's of firewall's but the above one does work perfect.
zeedo
SF Reviewer
SF Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether it works or not is not in question. It's just not recommended. It's added overhead to the system, an additional network connected piece of software and additonal work in order to setup the system properly, with one firewall potentially circumventing or hampering another.

It offers little in additional security and could arguably decrease security by introducing complexity that isn't necessary. It's pointless.

Choosing a well tested and functional firewall has much more benefit from a security stand point. As mentioned above the belt and braces approach would be better served by using a separate device as well as a host based firewall.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
precisesecurity
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, it will harm your computer, speed particularly. for me zonealarm is better as a firewall and userfriendly. However if you like an all-in-one, firewall, antispyware, antivirus better go with mcaffee or norton internet security.
qu_est
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I like Sygate, but use McAfee on a few PCs as it comes free with AOL. I agree, don't use two software firewalls, don't even turn on SP2 "firewall" if you're running another software solution. Otherwise you'll start finding that more an more programs don't do what you want them to in terms of connecting to the net.

As zeedo says, the combination of a hardware and software firewall should be more than enough to protect you.
PhiBer
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been discussed before here on the boards. Take a look here for more helpful information.

Last edited by PhiBer on Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
laris
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just build your own firewall such as www.ipcop.org If you want you to have a software firewall also you should not have any problems.
mido
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank u for ur help , i will use zonealarm pro , i think it's the best

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Beginners // Misc. Computer Questions All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: