• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Partition Magic for windows server ?

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Exchange 2000 // 2003 // 2007 & Active Directory

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iraq it
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
you are in danger of loosing all of the data on the server and thus getting fired.

So either i stay @ my job or create a new partition Arrow Fired ANNOYED!?!
nonsence
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:57 pm    Post subject: buy some tools Reply with quote

powerquestion partition magic has been bought by symantec and they now own that program. the workstation version called partition magic has so far been updated, but the older program called server magic i dont think has been updated since the win2000 days. so that is only certified for nt4 and win2000, although it prolly will run ok on win2003.
they do have a server product called volume manager, which i think was originally from the company Veritas, which i think also got bought by symantec. but agian, i dont think that program has been updated, last version off the symantec site said it was win2000 certified (i checked a few months ago). that tool is the full version of the mmc Disk Manager. the one built into Windows is a licensed version bought by Microsoft, but with limited features (for example it can't resize partitions. stupid but true).
a good and still supported and updated partition manager that will run on Windows 2000, XP and 2003 is made by Paragon.
http://www.partition-manager.com/corporate/server/

you can also look into Acronis - http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/products/diskdirector/

i used their partition manager 2003 product once before, but i didnt like how overly "user friendly" it was. maybe their server version has a more advanced gui interface since the 2003 version

Last edited by nonsence on Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
iraq it
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i good and still supported and updated partition manager that will run on Windows 2000, XP and 2003 is made by Paragon.
http://www.partition-manager.com/corporate/server/

you can also look into Acronis - http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/products/diskdirector/

Is the dema version of partition manager can make me test the HD artition without any problems or i have to buy the full copy Shocked Shocked Shocked

Thanks,
fsb
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried a knoppix cd with qtparted?
nonsence
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:05 pm    Post subject: knoppix = downtime Reply with quote

knoppix would most likely require downtime. i think the poster was pritty much against downtime, or as little as possible.
for all major purposes, the acronis or paragon products are able to resize ntfs partitions without having to reboot or turn off services. latest version of partition magic can also do this, also the full version of the volume manager tool from veritas should have this option too
fsb
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knoppix would definately require downtime.

Do these partitioning tools work when you have open files on the partition that you want to resize? Can they also do system partitions?

Not sure I'd want to risk it. For the sytem partition I'd schedule an outage and resize the partition offline. For any other partitions I'd probably delete, recreate and restore from backup tape.
nonsence
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:27 am    Post subject: resize without downtime Reply with quote

i used acronis before on a winxp pro workstation to resize the C Drive. it didnt require any downtime, it can do it automatically. i think even the command line tool diskpart.exe can do it. i think this has something to do with the new ntfs service features of winxp and win2003.
the only thing that might require downtime is if you plan on moving data partitions around on the drive, then probably.
Secure Lockdown
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, knopp might work. i always try to remember what the hardcore BSD developers sometimes like to do.

you post a problem.
they tell you how to fix it.
you do what they say.
everything blows up.
you tell them, "how do i get my data back?".
they say, "restore from backup."
you say, "what backup?"
they shrug and move on to something else.

Smile
iraq it
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Whats the summary guys Idea I tried the dema and its not working Exclamation
apple13140
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the news about one of best partition magic server—Partition Assistant Server Edition, maybe this is the one you needed, it can worked for you easily and efficiently.
mickdonald37
Link Spammer
Link Spammer

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it suppose that righ click on the C drive in disk mangement give me create new partition or not. I will attempt the disk mangement on separate windows server before apply to the producation servers.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Exchange 2000 // 2003 // 2007 & Active Directory All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: