• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Nov. MS Security Updates screwed up my 2k3 display settings

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Beginners // Misc. Computer Questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pro36
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:22 pm    Post subject: Nov. MS Security Updates screwed up my 2k3 display settings Reply with quote

I hope this is the correct location to post this>

Recently, I installed the November, MS Security updates & rebooted our win 2k3 enterprise server. Much to my chagrin, upon restart I noticed all my dialouge boxes font sizes were now twice as large (preventing me from accessing much of my controls from within windows). I checked my display settings & nothing had changed. However, my desktop was now a totally different color and some of the text in the drop down boxes dissappeared. All attempts to reset my original theme failed. I uninstalled the update but still can't recapture my original settings.

I have never experienced this before. What options are available to remedy this problem?

Thanx,
pro36
micro420
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try these:

A) Uninstall/remove your video card from Device Manager. Reboot, let Windows 2003 reinstall it. If that doesn't work, update your video card drivers.

B) roll back driver on your video card

C) uninstall the Windows Update by going to the Add/Remove programs in the control panel

D) Check monitor/video adapter settings. Check theme settings. Check font settings. Check Effect settings. All can be done by right-clicking desktop and selecting Properties.

E) Format and reinstall. Just kidding!!! Razz
pro36
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx Micro,

I checked to make sure card driver was current. Also tried (c) &(d). Decided to uninstall update and go to backup drive without this update.
Maybe later I'll try with windows video driver But for now system is running again.
dangrdsk
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Same thing here Reply with quote

Had to do a reinstall. What a pain. Had a buddy lose his file server too. I had a raid controller on an Exchange 2k3SP1 server not know any partitions too. I however, removed the drives, rebooted, reseated the drives and then it booted ok. I did not want to test my disaster recovery on my exchange server that morning. Luckily, that worked.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Beginners // Misc. Computer Questions All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: